Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Filtering vs. Gelatin

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Filtering vs. Gelatin Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We've been using gelatin to clear our beer and it works fine. Something about adding this stuff to our carefully crafted brew always rubs me the wrong way though.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone uses a filtering method instead? Maybe there's some way to hook up a water filter to our March pumps and filter the beer on it's way from fermenter to keg?
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold crashing also does a great job of clearing beer. I crash all my batches to around 36 degrees for at least 4 days and then they sit another ten days in keg before serving (either bottling or tapping) and most of the beers are quite clear. Only exception are with wheat additions even as low as 10%.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used both and I worn you filtering works fine but will take away the flavor, there seems to be a problem with the filter micron in the stores today, you can get 1 or 5 micron but 5 isn't enough and 1 is too much so I switched to cold crash and as long as you have patients to wait it works great
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I find filtering to be even more invasive than using (say) gelatin. You're pushing beer through (usually cardboard) sheets to hold back particles. There's a concern of picking up cardboard taste from the paper if you're not careful. I used to filter back in my wine making days and you'd have to push through a punch of water first to try and minimize any off-flavours. I still have the larger filter machine (a Buono Vino Super Jet) but never use it:

I like the idea of gelatin better as it acts kind of naturally, binding to protein and dropping it down.

Of course, the best way is time. But then you have to make sure you're storing in a air-tight container like glass or stainless as you don't want to take any risks oxidizing the beer over time.

I've always used gelatin and love it because it's quick and is a somewhat natural substance that's been around for eons compared to some of the chemicals or other things you can use. Of course everyone has to use what they feel is right for them.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
tomm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal for relaying your experience with a filter. I guess I was thinking of imitating the filters used by some micros. My biggest issue isn't so much the gelatin as it is impatience Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughput in commercial breweries is limited by fermentation/brite tanks. They need to keep things moving so even saving a day or two in the process of going from grain -> glass has a big impact on the bottom line.

As homebrewers we're lucky that we have the luxury of time to do what is often easiest.

You'll work twice as hard to have that beer faster. I recommend stockpiling/brewing more often. Start a pipeline. That's what I do. When I went from 4 to 8 taps I was initially worried that I wouldn't be able to 'keep up' but then realized that doesn't make any sense at all. We don't consume any faster with 8 beers on tap (vs 4). I simply need to brew 4 extra times to catch up, and now can brew as I do normally based on our consumption (I brew 10 gallons approximately once a month).

Kal

rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recommend stockpiling/brewing more often

I've come to that conclusion as well...I'm building a small (8'x6') framed "box with a door" on a slab and attach a Cool Bot w/ a small window unit A/C for storage. Rather than fretting over rotation (having kegs and freezer space available, conditioning time, etc), I can just brew as often as I want and park them away for when I'm ready for them. This will also be nice for beers that like long term conditioning, as I won't be tying up a keg for months and months.

Now I just need to find someone that wants to unload a bunch of pin-locks kegs Thumbs Up
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on brewing ahead. I have enough kegs and space to sit on the beer for months and months. It's like Kal said, we have time because we're home brewers. I consider taking your time, another step in brewing great beers.

Cheers, Castermmt

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
I consider taking your time, another step in brewing great beers.

Yup. One the reasons I'd never consider brewing professionally is that you're so time limited, not to mention that I think it would be way too much work and suck all the joy out of the hobby. Wink

Hobby's are the few things we do in life were we don't count or care about the number of hours we put into it (that's what makes it a hobby). As soon as you start worrying about how long it takes or how fast you can get something done, it's not really a hobby anymore.

(IMHO)

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: