Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Perlick 545pc vs 525ss

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Perlick 545pc vs 525ss Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am looking into putting together an 8 tap Keezer and am debating between the Perlick 545pc and the 525ss. My thoughts are if I use the 545pc I can get by with shorter lines and not have to worry about a perfect balance. Downside is the non SS nature of the 545pc. Would love some input?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How short are your lines?

I'd likely skip the Perlick 545pc's and go with the regular ones. You can get yourself with paralysis analysis if you start to read into line balancing too much.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just starting the ordering process. I plan on 8 secondary regulators and adjusting lines for varying vol c02. I like my beers on the high end of carbonation and with 3/16 beer lines i did not want to have to continually readjust. Do you agree that using the 525s and just going on the long side (say with all lines balanced to the highest vol co2 I planned on using) and simply dealing with reduced flow rate for those beers at lower vol c02 (ie lower psi settings)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's pretty keen.

I have 2 secondary CO2 regulators: One is bit higher for Blonde Ales, light lagers, Hefe, Wit, and other beers that I want carb'ed higher. The other is set lower for Pale Ales, IPAs, and anything else where I don't want a lot of carbonic 'bite'. Then I have a third regulator but it's for N2/CO2 beer gas for stouts, bitters, etc for that creamy Guinness-style head.

3/16 line is fairly restrictive so I don't think you'll have much problems, even with 10-20 foot lines. I'd go with the regular taps. I have 1/4" ID line that's poly (PET barrier) so very smooth inside which doesn't cause much restriction. I don't have any issues with my ~15 foot or so long lines. Start with long lines, do some tests and then cut them shorter if needed. I have reduced flow on my pale ales/ipas as compared to my blonde ales/wits/hefes. No big deal - I don't serve 100 beers/hour. Wink

Kal

skelley

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal.
also, is there any functional reason to have the co2 supply inside the keezer as apposed to outside. I figured it was simply one of esthetics.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. No reason. I have mine outside my keezer due to lack of space inside, but lots of space outside. (One 20lb tank of beer gas and one 10lb tank of CO2)

For my conditioning fridge it's inside because I had space/didn't want to punch a whole in the commercial fridge/don't have room on the floor or shelf. It's only a 5lb CO2 tank.

Kal

skelley

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you keep your next up kegs on co2 in the keezer, in the conditioning fridge or do you only carb them up and then take them off co2 but keep cold. I assume you do not keep them carbed at room temp?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My keezer holds 8 kegs and I have 8 taps, so my 'next up' kegs are in the conditioning fridge (holds 6 kegs) on CO2 being carb'ed up. As soon as one pops in the keezer, I have a new one to put on.

The exception is stuff that gets served on 70/30 beer gas blend - I can't precarb it to the same level as it would be too much and cause too much foaming. The kegs just sit in the conditioning fridge usually not connected to gas. The downside is that when I change one of these kegs served on beer gas it takes a couple of weeks before it's pouring with the nice head. You need some CO2 in solution but not much, very little. I could change the regulator on the tank in conditioning fridge to be a dual secondary so that I could have a much lower CO2 carb level for those kegs, but for now I'm just leaving the CO2 attached for few days and try it out. If not enough next time I leave it a bit longer... I'm really new to beer gas so I'm still learning.There's probably some math that could figure this all out for me somewhere... Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: