Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Power Wheels Conversion/Turbo Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berzai@sbcglobal.net

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Power Wheels Conversion/Turbo Switch Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So as with anything I own, it's not quite right until I alter/customize it in some way. My daughter/son have a 12v Peg Perego John Deere Gator (which I would have given anything to own when I was a kid), after 4 years the battery is toast. So in the process of buying a new 12 v 12ah battery, I bought an additional 6v 10ah (Is it ok to have different ah when run in series?) battery (this is the turbo boost). Many conversions like this have been done, and although the motors receive more power, those that have done it haven't burned them up, it's when you step up to the 24v that fries them. Anyways here is my question, I want a "NOS" switch that my kids can turn to kick the 12v to the 18v power supply to increase the speed. The suggestion from others is to run the batteries in series, which makes sense, but I'm trying to figure out the wiring. There are a few threads online, but no real conclusion is drawn from them..

Initially I'm thinking I obviously need to use a switch and relay, but never really worked with DC like this before, and have no idea how to wire. I've included a rough sketch below. A few questions.

1. Is the fuse set in the correct spot
2. What switch parameters do I need? (18vdc? How many amps? Basically looking for a specific description of what I need to buy)
3. The relay (I believe this is a Bosch type, I've been known to purchase the wrong item online many times before so a link in the answer would be incredible)
4. Is the difference in amp hours ok? I have separate chargers for each battery.

When this is complete, I'll post pictures, but for now, any wiring help would be much appreciated. (I think I might enjoy watching this work more than my kids will enjoy tearing up my grass!)

Power wheels.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.92 KB
 Viewed:  34260 Time(s)

Power wheels.png

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berzai,

While I can't help you with this, I have the perfect place for you to ask: The Off-Topic forum over at my Home Theater website. A lot of the guys there are big into anything DYI electronic. Tell them I recommend you post there.

That forum can be found here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/

It should look eerily familiar. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
berzai@sbcglobal.net

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Thanks for the response... Reply with quote

Copy and paste away...

Wait...The resemblance is eery...
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're getting good responses/ideas. Anyone curious can follow along here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34689

Note: You have to log in to the forum to view the off-topic section since some of the discussions tend to get pretty heated sometimes and we don't want Google to index these.

Kal

berzai@sbcglobal.net

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Thanks, that was awesome. I think I have a solution for $6. My kids are going to freak...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure they wear their helmets! Wink

Kal

berzai@sbcglobal.net

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a followup. I went with a simple 24 v switch. When off, the 12v runs the car and it runs a normal low and high speed. When on, the additional 6v kicks in and the car cooks. 18v Gator is pretty fun. I know my son had a huge smile on his face as the wind ripped through his hair. Anyways, Kal, et al, thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: