Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Beer Smith 2 and Lauter Tun Deadspace

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Beer Smith 2 and Lauter Tun Deadspace Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys,
I have been off on my volume and gravity numbers my last few batches and I'm trying to get that sorted out. I did some measurements and found that the deadspace has a volume = to .4g, hoses = to .21g, and the HERMS and pump = to .44g for a total of 1.05g. Do I enter 1.05g for Lauter Tun Deadspace under equipment profile?

Thanks,
Scott
kellzey

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 0

My gravities always seems to be off if I have any number in there. Since the whole system recircualtes, I don't think you need to account for it.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents worth:

If you want to get your mash thickness correct, you need to account for the lauter tun dead space, HERMS coil volume, and tubing/pump volume in your strike water calculation. If you don't, part of your initial water, then wort as you recirculate, will be held up here and not in the mash tun with the grains therefore changing your mash thickness.

As for volume to bottle, you will need to account for any losses from the boil kettle, CFC, pump, tubing, trub, etc... in your pre-boil volume if you want to bottle the amount of your batch size.

I struggle with Beersmith and getting the numbers to work out like I think they should. That is the main reason I built my own spreadsheet to do the calculations. BTW, the sheet I posted in the brewing science thread had a few errors that I have fixed since posting.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: