Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Efficiency - Mash and Sparge

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pugs13

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Efficiency - Mash and Sparge Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys I am having issues with my efficiency and was curious to get your thoughts on my process. I hav eno lowered my efficiency in my recipes to 75% because I cannot seem to master the fly sparging technique with the electric brewery we have which is pretty much based off of Kal's except we have 15g HLT, 15g MT and 20g BK.
No matter what I do I cannot seem to get my pre-boil volume with staying above 1.010 when sparging!?! It's driving me crazy! We do 90min. mashing and as much as 60min. sparging with sparge water below 6pH. Like I said, we started out with 85% efficiency and now down to 75% and still cannot pull off the sparge process.
The only thing I can think of at this point is my mash temps. I have seen that most of the recipes and examples on here call for anywhere from 149F-150F, however I make some beers pretty low in ABV like 3.9%-5.5% and it seems if I mash in low like 149F by the time fermentation is done and the beer is ready to drink it seems real watery or less flavorful, so I have been mashing in at 154F-156F. I am pretty sure this is my problem with not getting the most out of my grain but is there a way to get flavorful session beers when mashing in at 148F-149F without them coming out real watery and dry? Thanks for the help!
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fast are you sparging? How long does it take?
Pugs13

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
How fast are you sparging? How long does it take?

Roughly 50-60min. I also do the 168F mash out before hand. I was thinking maybe I do not need to do a mash out. Not sure.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Mashing at 150 or 156F will still make the same amount of sugar, the sugar 156F will just not be as fermentable. So when you measure the gravity, you'll get the same thing.

If your mash temp is WAAAY off then you may not convert starch to sugar but that's probably not the issue.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW,

How are you measuring the specific gravity? Are you accounting for the temperature? SG varies with temp.

In my instructions I say:

"The pH should remain below 6 and gravity above 1.008 (relative to 68F) to avoid excess tannin extraction."

At the temp you're sparging at it probably reads closer to 1.000 or even lower. You need to "translate" this to 68F. There are various brewing calculators available for this. There's one built into my brewing software (Beer Tools Pro).

Kal

Pugs13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
BTW,

How are you measuring the specific gravity? Are you accounting for the temperature? SG varies with temp.

In my instructions I say:

"The pH should remain below 6 and gravity above 1.008 (relative to 68F) to avoid excess tannin extraction."

At the temp you're sparging at it probably reads closer to 1.000 or even lower. You need to "translate" this to 68F. There are various brewing calculators available for this. There's one built into my brewing software (Beer Tools Pro).

Kal

I use a refractometer to take my readings throughout the process. I need 1-2 drops and they cool fast enough to.get accurate readings.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're using the refractometer correctly. I've seen many times where the issue is that the reading is off because it's not being used right (I don't use one myself so I can't offer any more hints).

Kal

mcl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No matter what I do I cannot seem to get my pre-boil volume with staying above 1.010 when sparging!?! It's driving me crazy!

This doesn't help your issue but I wanted to let you know on small beers this can be quite common. I just top off with RO water to get my BK volume.

Can you post a recipe and your numbers so we can troubleshoot further.
Pugs13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcl wrote:
Quote:
No matter what I do I cannot seem to get my pre-boil volume with staying above 1.010 when sparging!?! It's driving me crazy!

This doesn't help your issue but I wanted to let you know on small beers this can be quite common. I just top off with RO water to get my BK volume.

Can you post a recipe and your numbers so we can troubleshoot further.

I have done that as well with our Irish Red which is 5.5%. It turned out quite nice, I just wish I could get more out of my grains. The grain bill for our Bitter is:

75% Eff.
6g. batch
3.9%ABV
OG - 1.044
FG - 1.015
SRM - 11.6
IBU - 33.1

7.5lbs. - Maris Otter
14oz. - Torrified Wheat
12oz. - Crystal 60L
5oz - English Extra Dark 160L

.74oz. - EKG - 60min.
.48oz. - Challenger 60min.
.43oz. - EKG - 30min.
.24oz. - EKG - Flameout

English Ale Yeast
Pugs13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to look further into our grain crush too. Maybe we are not crushing our grain fine enough.
mcl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by mcl on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entering those numbers in BS with my equipment profile. I am getting a mash eff of 79.5% which isn't bad but you can get better.

What size is your crush?
What was your preboil volume and gravity?

I think you should start with mash/lauter efficiency and work your way down to BH efficiency. That way we can analyze where the problem is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: