Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A full set of pictures is forthcoming. No promises as to when, but it's on my todo list.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WooHoo!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
I found a GREAT flush handle for your urinal...
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny!

The running joke during contruction was that the owner of the design/build company isn't much of a beer drinker and when he does have a beer it's usually coors or bud light. I was going to erect a sign with an arrow pointing into the urinal that said "bud light served here". Wink

Kal

TheYoshi

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
...I discovered a new genre of movie posters that I like called "retro minimalist" (Google "retro minimalist movie posters"). These ones feature the movie that probably had the biggest impact on me and made me want to get into this hobby:

As far as I'm concerned, Han shot first and Jar Jar doesn't exist.

Kal

These posters are awesome, I've been searching and thus far haven't been able to find them, mind sharing where they came from?

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were purchased from Etsy.com

I couldn't find the same ones but there are many other minimalist Star Wars posters:

www.etsy.com/search?q=minimalist%20poster%20star%20wars

If you search their site for 'minimalist poster' without the words 'Star Wars' you'll find many more:

http://www.etsy.com/search?q=minimalist%20poster

Kal

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
A full set of pictures is forthcoming. No promises as to when, but it's on my todo list.

Kal

How is that to-do list coming?

Looking forward to seeing this thread come full-circle with your grand-finale picture laden post.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designer's coming today to talk about photography... they want to take some professional pictures that I'll also be posting here.

Extra shelving in the brewery is now done so that's good. I need to clean up the beer and chiller lines in the freezer a bit. I did something more 'temporary' that unfortunately works well... I need to undo some of it and put the right fittings on as I'd be embarrassed to show what I did in photos. Wink

About the only thing really left is are the accoustic panels around the home theater screen and elsewhere. They won't be in the pictures and 99% of the people won't care or notice, but the HT buffs will maybe scratch their heads and wonder why I don't have any panels ... I have some temperorarily in place around the screen now from my my old house (also helps with light bounce).

Kal

rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Designer's coming today to talk about photography... they want to take some professional pictures that I'll also be posting here.

Somehow, I'm not surprised ... Wink

I can't wait to see the pics - I'm sure they will be awesome!

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
tools

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Thanks for the hints. On second thought the hygrometer is somewhat useless. I can probably skip it. I'd rather just get a reasonably accurate thermometer that reads to at least 180-200F.

Kal

I built a wood one from simple plans (I have a copied set laying around...) from Fine Woodworking a million years ago with my kid for science class. The teacher just didn't get it at all... The article has a nice write up on how to calibrate it ACCURATELY (cool, but useless)! They were in the weather section of the class.

It's a very simple device, but elegant. Cherry and oak. It's a piece of cross grain wood and long grain wood glued together. It bends and acts as a pointer. Considering the considerable effort you're putting out for free, I could easily mill you all the parts and just send them to you if you're interested!

Tools
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, but the manufacturer of the one I originally bought did send me a replacement and it's been accurate so far.

Kal

tobah

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ever gonna see a new update?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delays guys. Been waiting for the final photography to be done and there hasn't been a huge rush on it as it's out of my control. We've also got a few final pieces of decorating to figure out plus the accoustical side of the Home Theater (I have some custom panels to build but just haven't had the time).

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Home Theater related question I figured I might as post here too:

Does anyone have recommendations for stores that ship GOM (Guilford of Maine) acoustically transparent fabric to Canada? I'm in Ottawa, Ontario specifically and highly doubt I can find it locally.

I'm looking for a metric butt-load of FR701 black (Style 2100-408) for building accoustic panels around the screen and ~4 feet into the room, plus a bunch of samples to try and match the following Sherwin Williams SW7032 wall colour:

Is there anywhere where you can purchase a complete set of swatch samples? I can always do two separate orderes if needed.

As expected, trying to find a match through websites is somewhat impossible as both the paint colour and the GOM samples online vary depending on which site I visit. Real samples are needed.

Thanks!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed to take some quick pictures of the basement as it sits today for our design/build contractor (http://www.justbasementsottawa.ca/) as they want to send in some stagers prior to their photoshoot.

The stagers need to see what's missing/what could be added from an aesthetic point of view ...

Some photos as it sits today:

They'll probably plunk down some vases here and there, a bowl of fruit on the bar, and all those decorator type things that decorators do. Wink

I'm not sure what (if anything) they'll do in the brewery. It's definitely an 'odd' room to most people so I'm really curious to see how they approach that.

On a completely different front:

I've collected a whole bunch of samples for doing accoustic panels around the screen and for the home theater side wall (the black ones shown above are temporary ones from my last basement).

I think we've picked out what we like (going with flat black around the screen and then as close a match to the side wall colour as possible for some panels at the first reflection point - if needed).

They're from the FR701 series of Guilford of Maine ( http://www.guilfordofmaine.com/patterns/2100 ).
They're being used because they're known to be very accoustically transparent with almost a burlap type look if you get up close.

Here's the black: http://www.guilfordofmaine.com/swatches/2100-408

I most likely won't have time to get that done before the photoshoot (and don't want it to be half done when they arrive), so for the shoot the area around the screen will be blank which to me as a home theater guy just seems all wrong. Hopefully nobody into HT will see the pictures. Wink

Kal

wubears71

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your new setup is a real dump! I suggest you tear it all out and start over.

Freaking sweet. I cannot wait to see the "staged" pictures!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Bad news... Reply with quote

Quote:
The stagers need to see what's missing/what could be added...

Kal - You've probably already spotted it but for those that aren't aware, they put the brewery in the wrong place. It's my basement that has yet to get the "aesthetic point of view " treatment that they're going to be looking for.

As quick as possible, and before the stagers catch wind of this, I can help you move the brewery to where my basement is expecting it and solve this for you.

Glad I could help out.

Cheers!
Dave
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Dave! Mississauga's only ~5 hrs away... be over around 8ish with a truckload of stuff ... Wink

On a more serious note, the stagers are probably more used to staging houses that are going up for sale in which case they'd probably recommend that the room be emptied and that something completely different be put in. (I gutted and put my old brewery equipment in storage for ~6 months when we sold the old house as prospective buyers probably wouldn't get it... but int this case it's one of the whole points of the basement). We'll see!

Kal

woodenboatguy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Kal! You will find me out in the backyard wrangling my new (used) rototiller I got yesterday for the hop garden. If you can bring along some of the beer you want to get out of the way as well, I can promise a lovely craft-made refreshment for all your efforts.

Good luck with the show!

Cheers,
Dave
jamatron

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your setup is awesome Kal, and that artwork...nice find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 18 of 26
Jump to: