Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Maris Otter = More Dough Balls

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Maris Otter = More Dough Balls Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone else notice more and "tougher" dough balls when using Maris Otter. I sure do. I have tried small amounts of grain then stirring, all of the grain in, then stirring (NOT GOOD) and I can't seem to stop them. I spend about 10 minutes breaking them up which is annoying.

I condition my grain bills and crush at .038" with a Monster 2.0 grain mill. I don't have an issue with US 2 Row, but Maris Otter is a different story. It is annoying.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crud... I have a MASSIVE grain bill that is an extremely high percentage Maris Otter. My first time to use this grain... Making an Old Ale of the strong variety. Guess I will attach my wife's potato masher to a keg spear!!! haha!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
OMJ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always found maris to be stickier than American 2 row. Not anything you can do about it that I know of other than lots of stirring.
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could rice hulls help stop the formation of the dough balls if you add them along with the grain while you're doughing in?
View user's photo album (6 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
Crud... I have a MASSIVE grain bill that is an extremely high percentage Maris Otter. My first time to use this grain... Making an Old Ale of the strong variety. Guess I will attach my wife's potato masher to a keg spear!!! haha!

Well at least you know what could be in store ahead of time. I hope your brew is a good one!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Maris Otter = More Dough Balls Reply with quote

I crush at 0.045" (fairly loose) and scoop my grain into the water one bowl at a time and have never seen doughballs with any of the base grains I've used (various North American 2-row varieties, various Maris Otter varieties, Weyermann's pils [both organic and non], Weyermann's pale ale, and few others).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
bbartonyang

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Kal said, if you dough in slowly you will never have dough balls.
Pugs13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MO for all my recipes and have never had any issue. Just make sure you dough in slow and keep stirring. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: