Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Custom HERMS Coil

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Custom HERMS Coil Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Custom HERMS Coil

Coiling the HERMS coil has proven to be one of the most difficult aspects of building our brewery for many users (see some of the failed attempts).

We are now proud to offer custom stainless steel HERMS coils that have been professionally manufactured to our specifications by a US-based stainless tubing company, ready for use in our electric brewery setup.

These coils are easy to install even in tight kettles due to the cross-over design. Having the ends come from the opposite sides of the coil allows for more flex simplifying installation.

The longer 50 foot length ensures that heat transfer is maximized and the large 1/2 inch tubing minimizes flow restriction.

For more information visit our order page. GO »

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:09 pm; edited 7 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update November 10th, 2011

We are currently low in stock of these coils. We appreciate everyone who has ordered so far!

Another batch is on order and is expected in the next few weeks. We will still be accepting orders, and will ship the coils as soon as we receive them.

Thanks, and do not hesitate to post any questions here, or email us.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new batch of HERMS Coils are currently en route to us.

All those who have placed orders will begin receiving tracking info once we have them in stock. They will be processed in the order that they were received. Please be patient while we get them all out to you.

Thanks again-

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only you would make these with a smaller diameter, so the would also be compatible with kegs converted to brew kettles

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellzey wrote:
If only you would make these with a smaller diameter, so the would also be compatible with kegs converted to brew kettles

I know we may have covered this earlier, but what size would be needed to fit into a keg? I do not have a converted kettle to measure. I would a need a bunch of measurements, but mainly the minimum ID of the keg, overall height, and average opening size.

The reason why its not easy to custom make these coils as there are hundreds of dollars in tooling costs to make even a slight modification, or provide a new product entirely. If you sell in larger quantities, yes, this cost is negligible. But I need to see a lot of interest (i.e. people willing to put money down) to make a larger quantity order in that size. That being said, I do not doubt that there would be interest, we just have not been asked many times.

You get me some measurements, and I'd be happy to get a quote for you.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry for posting this in the FAQ.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those who have been waiting patiently for their backordered HERMS coils, I'm happy to say that I received the next shipment today. Those with outstanding orders should be receiving tracking info over the next few days as they start to go out.

Thanks for being so patient!

Mike

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller HERMS coils customized for keggles and 10-15 gallon kettles are now available and shipping. Only 30 available. First come first served!

See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-herms-coil

Kal

TonyYates

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Remove Text On Coil Reply with quote

Should I be concerned with the ink text on the coil, and if so, what should I use to remove it?

Best Regards

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I remember years ago when I first built my setup my coil had writing on the outside too. I believe I used a slightly rough scouring pad and some oxyclean to remove it.

Kal

kellzey

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Herms coil has writing on it. I've probably heated 20 batches of water and it's still on there. Even Star San isn't removing it. I don't think it will hurt anything.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of the ends has anyone had to cut off the ends to get the Spike Innovations coil to fit in the 20 gallon Blichmann? It looks like about an inch would do, but I want to make sure.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no one right answer as different compression fittings may add different lengths. Loosely fit the side of the compression fitting that goes inside the coil on one of the coil ends and position it to see where the coil would end up in your kettle. Then cut off enough to make it fit more or less in the center of the kettle.

Kal

wdevauld

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: OMG Shipping Reply with quote

So I thought I would order one of these bad boys. It appears, however, that the shipping costs are getting a little obscene. At $1,000 for shipping to Canada, it would likely be cheaper for me to book a return flight to where ever you keep inventory and pick it up.

Is this a software glitch and can we work out some more reasonable shipping charges.

Whoa.png
 Description:
What Paypal is saying shipping is worth.
 Filesize:  7.38 KB
 Viewed:  52060 Time(s)

Whoa.png

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG Shipping Reply with quote

wdevauld wrote:
So I thought I would order one of these bad boys. It appears, however, that the shipping costs are getting a little obscene. At $1,000 for shipping to Canada, it would likely be cheaper for me to book a return flight to where ever you keep inventory and pick it up.

Sorry for confusion. We artificially set the shipping cost high for orders to outside the USA to avoid direct international orders for some of our items items. (This is why it states US SALES ONLY. PLEASE CONTACT US FOR ORDERS SHIPPED OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES. right above the add to cart button). Unfortunately there's no easy way to do this automatically for only some items but not others.

Email us at sales@TheElectricBrewery.com with your complete shipping address, phone number, and which size HERMS coil you're interested in (along with anything else you're interested in) and we can send you a custom quote as the shipping calculator comes up too high.

Cheers,

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
iBrewBeer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All it took was about a 3 minute browse of the failed attempts and I ordered mine.

I saw the other options as well, but given that I am adopting Kal's system, I wanted the coil that works best, sans the bends......
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've dropped the price on our HERMS coils! For complete details see our order page:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-herms-coil

Kal

BrassDuCom

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: "Custom" HERMS Coil Reply with quote

I am awaiting delivery of a 500L Hot Liquor Tank, and would like a HERMS coil to fit inside. The 18Kw element is being designed to curve around (like a scythe), and I would like the HERMS coil to sit inside the curve so it gets access to the most heated water. The standard coil diameter would be fine, but I would like the input and output legs to be longer so that the coil sits in the middle of the tank. Is this possible?

There is a possibility I could just use a standard coil and get the heater element offset to be nearer the coil, but this is not the preferred solution.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We produce these in large batches so I'm afraid custom ones are not possible. Sorry!

Now that said, if the water's moving in the HLT (as it should be otherwise it won't heat evenly) it doesn't matter where the coil is located as the water will be a uniform temperature.

If you'd like to order, see: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-herms-coil

Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: