Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I installed the metal wall art (Buy at: Amazon.com, eBay) and hung the Dervish 5-Light Pendant Light:

Nice to finally see some colour. Everything so far has been very grey/monochromatic.

I thought that hanging what is essentially 7 separate pictures 1" apart and have them line up straight would be an exercise in frustration but it was actually quite simple. They provide a paper template to make things easier. Tape it level to the wall and then install 7 drywall anchors with screws. I've always liked the self-drilling drywall anchors as they're quick and easy to use and don't make a mess.

Three of the four black leather Barcelona chairs are loaners while we wait for the replacements to be ordered (in case some eagle-eyed readers notice the chairs are slightly different). They sent us white ones by mistake. We now need a table and possibly an area rug underneath to finish off this area.

<rant>

Having to replace things (sometimes many times) before getting the right part or a non-defective part seems to the norm these days.

The extreme example was the bathroom shower tower: We ordered it 3 times before giving up and going with a different brand. The first 3 all arrived damaged during shipping.

The companies have all been good about replacing things it but it seems like a disturbing trend regardless of how much you spend or what quality you expect. Frustrating.

</rant>

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Having to replace things (sometimes many times) before getting the right part or a non-defective part seems to the norm these days. The companies have all been good about replacing things it but it seems like a disturbing trend regardless of how much you spend or what quality you expect. It's frustrating.

The extreme example was the bathroom shower tower: We ordered it 3 times before giving up and going with a different brand. The first 3 all arrived damaged during shipping.

The companies have all been good about replacing things it but it seems like a disturbing trend regardless of how much you spend or what quality you expect. Frustrating.

</rant>

Kal

Looking really nice Kal! Very nice indeed!

Just have to rib ya a little here... You must need another cup of coffee. You must need another cup of coffee.

Is "Sandy" effecting you guys up in that part? I didn't know just how far North and East the 'bad' stuff went. I imagine you have gotten some breeze and rains... Anything else?
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I fixed the duplicate text issue. Thanks!

Up here in Ottawa we just got a lot of wind a couple of nights ago, nothing major and definitely nothing to the extreme that we're seeing elsewhere.

Kal

tigrooby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to do a video walk though when it's done Wink
g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basement is looking great! I love the windows behind the bar looking into the brewery. I definitely will incorporate that into my next house.

Scott
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the same, or very similar, chairs I saw at the BMW Performance Driving complex. I was out there for a one day class. BMW has a program where you can have any new vehicle delivered out there, and they let you drive a car similar to yours on the tracks they have. Then you get to drive your car out of this really nice building. And those were the chairs. I really like them Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're very popular style of chair (too popular maybe?) called the Barcelona lounger that's been knocked off by many manufacturers. I believe the originals were around $5K. Knockoffs are 1/10th that (thankfully).

Kal

crypt0

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basement is coming along nicely, Kal. Is the brewery done at this point? I'll cross my fingers and hope for a brewing demonstration video on the new system Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crypt0 wrote:
Is the brewery done at this point?

Nope! Still installing/hanging things. Before my brewery was just the brewery (wort making) part of brewing. Now it's also packaging/serving so there's more stuff that needs to go in there and get organized. I'll add pictures as things progress.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably accurate sauna thermometers & hygrometers?

I purchased this bucket/ladle set but the included combination thermometer/hygrometer is a piece of junk:

Both the thermometer/hygrometer are bi-metal (a coil that tightens/loosens based on temperature or humidity levels) but both stick like crazy and jump around making them impossible to calibrate let alone use. Turning the calibration screw slowly does nothing and then all of a sudden the needle will jump 180 degrees.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a "sauna" thermometer or hydrometer either. Though the thermometer needs to go to at least 180-200F and hangs on the wall (so something with a probe is out).

Thanks!

Kal

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for hair hygrometers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrometer
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hints. On second thought the hygrometer is somewhat useless. I can probably skip it. I'd rather just get a reasonably accurate thermometer that reads to at least 180-200F.

Kal

RJensen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started reading through this thread. Setting up my own basement with a new brewery setup and I think I may have just been sold on the electric idea. Smile I've got a ton of questions, but will wait until *AFTER* I go through the entire thread and see how many have already been answered.

One of the things I didn't see on my quick jaunt through was the layout of the brewery. I think the overall size was roughly 11'6" x 13' 6", but couldn't quite make out the numbers. Are you storing grains or keeping your fermenters in there?

Thanks for the inspiration, ideas, and the links. Very cool. I'm going to also start going through the 'build your brewery' with the 30A panels. This should be quite awesome. Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJensen wrote:
One of the things I didn't see on my quick jaunt through was the layout of the brewery. I think the overall size was roughly 11'6" x 13' 6", but couldn't quite make out the numbers. Are you storing grains or keeping your fermenters in there?

I haven't shown a full layout yet as I'm still toying with ideas. Wink My original layout is no longer being followed exactly.

The current plan is to have the 8-keg serving keezer under the window. Right beside that is a small freezer (running as a regular freezer) used to store hops and yeast and to chill the coolant used to keep the serving lines cool. Shelves for grain storage will go on the side wall between the control panel and door along with a lagering aging fridge. This will be an upright commercial fridge that should (hopefully) hold 6-7 kegs.

I may not have enough room for grain and may end up instead using some of the space for fermenting and putting the grain in the back room. Not sure.

The room is much bigger than I had before but I'm finding that it may be big enough for everything:

- Milling/grain storage
- Brewery (wort creation step)
- Fermentation
- Aging
- Serving

I know it has to cover the brewery and serving aspects. Those are the only ones set in stone so I made sure to get those ironed out first. Once I get all that in I'll see how much room is left. The lagering/aging fridge has been ordered but is probably still 6 weeks away.

Kal

hellbentbrewco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal did you ever get those silicon microwave things, how do they look? I just ordered my last kettle so hopefully I'll be up and running shortly
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellbentbrewco wrote:
Kal did you ever get those silicon microwave things, how do they look? I just ordered my last kettle so hopefully I'll be up and running shortly

Yup! They arrived last week and I actually brewed for the first time in the new brewery with them under the boil kettle. I'm not sure how much they helped in keeping heat off the stainless table as it was hot directly underneath to touch just like the other kettles. Just like the other kettles an inch or two away and the table wasn't warm at all. Something thicker may work better. Or they're probably not needed at all frankly. I'm still experimenting/setting up things.

11 gallons of Janet's Brown Ale is now fermenting however. Nice not to have to run around the house finding things!

Kal

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet's Brown Ale, that's a great beer. I just ran out of my first batch and planning on brewing it again. I'm so glad you posted the recipe. Thanks Mug

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats kal. But we don't believe you brewed, until we see pics! Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could take a picture of my bubbling airlock. Smells like Janet's Brown Ale. Would that count? Smile

Kal

KES

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...NO!...We want steam rolled out your boil kettle. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 15 of 26
Jump to: