Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Simple Pumpkin Ale

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Simple Pumpkin Ale Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am charting out a simple Pumpkin Ale. I checked out Northern Brewer's Pumpkin Ale and reviewed the American Amber Ale style. This will be for a halloween party so I am only doing one early addition of hops with the goal of making a more drinkable beer (to the average persons palette). At the end of the boil the pumpkin pie spices go in. I will also be mashing with pumpkin. So this will be a low IBU, sweeter pumpkin ale. Recipe:

Here is a quick sketch:

12.5 lbs 2 row pale malt
4.5 lbs munich malt
1.5 lbs Crystal (80L)
.5 lbs Crystal (60L)
.5 lbs Crystal (120L)
Cluster Hops: Start of Boil
Spices: End of Boil

Mashing with about 8 - 10 lbs of roasted pumpkin flesh. Spices will be Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Allspice (added at the 0-5 minute, near / at the end). Only a 1/2 tsp of nutmeg (it tends to be rather strong). Design choices: I wanted to go with more munich malt as it is a safe-ish choice to use and common in Oktoberfest beers. I am hoping this will give it a little more character since there will only be pumpkin spices (no late addition hops). I am on a 3 week schedule with this beer, so it won't have a ton of time to age. I am going for a couple weeks fermentation and then packaging.

BeerSmith Recipe: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nwpagoqi12z10b/SimplePunkAle.bsmx

I am assuming 93.7 percent efficiency. I will probably use a couple teaspoons of gypsum in the mash.

I will report back with results.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What yeast are you planning on using? I'm going to brew a Pumpkin ale but not sure what recipe t use. The farmer next to my home has acres of pumpkins and he offered a few up for brewing.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
What yeast are you planning on using? I'm going to brew a Pumpkin ale but not sure what recipe t use. The farmer next to my home has acres of pumpkins and he offered a few up for brewing.

Safale US-05. I based my recipe on American Amber Ale. I use that for pretty much all of my standard American-y ales Smile
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happily fermenting away. With no late hops it has a very sweet malty smell in my fermentation chamber. I can't wait to give this one a a try.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a tasty recipe. With the 3 week schedule in mind you don't have much time for conditioning, so you may want to scale back the recipe a little to reduce the abv, or if you have temperature control ferment slightly cooler (e.g. 62-64F as beer temperature, 60F ambient) to reduce any hot alcohol notes and raise the temperature slowly after a week to help finish off and condition. For a party, 1.055 is on the heavy side for a session ale, so maybe a good idea to scale back for the sake of your guests! Smile As homebrewers, I think we have a natural resilience to alcohol!

I made my first pumpkin ale 3 weeks ago, OG was 1.062 otherwise the recipe is similar to yours - a touch more munich and subst 10% of the crystal for biscuit malt: 50% pils, 25% munich, 10% biscuit, and 15% various crystals. With the highish OG the beer was not ready after 3 weeks, but also I did ferment warmer than I'd like - about 68F ambient. Beer temp was up to 72F. I'm glad I still have 3 weeks for the beer to condition!

randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on this one. I was off on my OG target a bit (low), so we dropped a few percent in ABV by coincidence. I sampled it last night (about 1.5 wks since yeast pitching, with active fermentation dying off a couple days ago). None of the spice flavors were overpowering. It was sweet, almost too sweet, but the hops kick in at the end to make it nice. I am thinking with full carbonation it will have enough bite to make it highly sessionable. The pumpkin and spices are there but in the background like I wanted. You can smell them more than taste them. There are very few green beer flavors, surprisingly. I think I had a great pitching of yeast and fermentation as it is feeling very nicely conditioned for its age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: