Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sparge water acidification

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Sparge water acidification Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Question: I didn't purchase the lactic acid yet. How important is getting the sparge pH right in this setup if I am aiming for between 90-95% efficiency? What if I am at say, 6.2 instead of 6.0 (roughly) what will that cause? My LHBS owner gave me an earful about using lactic acid and being overly efficient and ruining beer, etc. etc. He also said the taste of lactic acid, even at a rate of just 2-3 ml for a 10G batch would show through. He recommended Phosphoric acid (which others claim is more stable at high temperature). This is a pretty advanced topic so I am having a hard time sorting through the noise on the bigger forums.

Note: I am measuring my water pH right now. I am reading about 7.8 for my brewing water (tap water). This concerns me quite a bit. I would rather not screw this part up. I think I will get the lactic acid tomorrow unless folks here have a different opinion.

Background:

So, I was at my local home brew store and I discussed a few things with the store owner. He seems to know his stuff, but I wanted to discuss the topic of sparge water pH and mash pH. I am going to be brewing for the first time this weekend so I want to get this right.

I was purchasing lactic acid and he asked me what is was for. I told him I intend to use it to acidify my sparge water pH to ~6.0. He cautioned me and said our water in the area was fine, don't worry about it. Then I explained I am trying a new setup with continuous sparging and it is really efficient, so I need to be careful about hitting my pH for my mash and my sparge water to avoid tannin extraction and hit my target gravity. He then cautioned me about trying to be overly efficient, etc. etc. I felt like it didn't apply to me as I know my setup and the collective experience everyone here has a lot better than he... but I wanted to at least discuss this. I feel like I should just use the lactic acid if I need it.

Thoughts?
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you adding any mash salts to your mash? What is your water profile to begin with? I generally use Kal's recommendation for an IPA profile as this is the style of beer my wife and I enjoy. If you check the recipe section, you will see it in Kal's recipes. So, I'm starting out with 100% RO water, as I wanted a clean slate to work with. I use EZ Water Calculator, plug in my grains, water volumes and salts for the profile I am aiming for. As this is 100% RO, I split the salts for mash and sparge. The last batch ( 21 gallons into the fermentor ) the mash ph was 5.29 and the sparge water was 5.6, with no lactic acid additions. EZ Water said I needed 7 mls but I always check the Ph prior to adding any acid and the Ph where I needed it. Ph of the sparge only needs to be ~6.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the hardness of your water? That can affect the ability of the grains to reach ideal ph.
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our water is not too hard. The water chemistry is unknown to me. Our water reports don't include the trace minerals, just stuff like chlorine content, etc. It is generally decent lake water. It doesn't have a chance to pick up too many minerals before reaching my house. We don't have water hardness problems here. The pH was 7.8.

I am generally able to hit a good 5.2-5.4 mash pH depending on my specialty grains, so I never thought about it since I was batch sparging and tannin extraction is just not something you worry about Smile This is my first brew on the new system, though, and this sparging technique runs a much higher risk of tanning extraction so I am worried about tannins. Based on what I have been reading I really need to get the sparge pH down to 6. If there isn't enough buffer in the mash when I start sparging, my high-ish pH water is going to go too alkaline and I run the risk of tannin extraction at the end of my sparge.

According to LHBS guy our water is relatively low on Calcium so I have generally used Burton water salts on my pale ales with good results (no noticeable mineral tastes), good mash pH.

I will just go back and get the lactic acid. Honestly, I am a little annoyed at LHBS guy for not listening to me and lecturing me on efficiency. He was admonishing people who try to go too high on efficiency and just ruin the beer and there is no point in going past 80% efficiency when home brewing, yada, yada... (I have heard that soooo many times now). I didn't build this system just to make beer or I would have stuck with my previous setup. I did this because I want total control and the ability to be efficient if I want to. I think I am ranting now. Anyhow, there you go on my situation Smile

Ultimately, I will get a RO system and start from scratch on my water (another thing LHBS guy told me wasn't worth the time..., but I know if you measure it and proceed with due technical respect for the process it is another aspect of it you can control). I know our water is generally fine the way I have been using it though Smile
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lactic acid in small quantities is undetectable to the taste. That being said, can you try an experiment with your HLT? Put in your normal amount of water and add the lactic acid, bringing your Ph into line of where you want it, then cool a sample and taste it. The taste should have a touch of tart, nothing else. Also, what Ph meter are you using and what temperature you are measuring at.
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben58 wrote:
Lactic acid in small quantities is undetectable to the taste. That being said, can you try an experiment with your HLT? Put in your normal amount of water and add the lactic acid, bringing your Ph into line of where you want it, then cool a sample and taste it. The taste should have a touch of tart, nothing else. Also, what Ph meter are you using and what temperature you are measuring at.
I am using the one Kal recommends. Hanna phep 5. I will definitely sample the water as I go. I got the lactic acid as desired. Tomorrow is the big brew day Smile.

I think I have it all in line Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randbrewer1010 wrote:
Honestly, I am a little annoyed at LHBS guy for not listening to me and lecturing me on efficiency. He was admonishing people who try to go too high on efficiency and just ruin the beer and there is no point in going past 80% efficiency when home brewing, yada, yada... (I have heard that soooo many times now). I didn't build this system just to make beer or I would have stuck with my previous setup. I did this because I want total control and the ability to be efficient if I want to. I think I am ranting now. Anyhow, there you go on my situation Smile

Your LHBS guy is generally correct: I also think it's completely backwards to chase after efficiency. It shouldn't be the primary concern. Good efficiency however automatically comes out of having a good process. If you pay close attention to the design and process and watch your pH all the way through, you'll automatically get great efficiency whether you want to or not.

This is all assuming fly sparging. There are exceptions are course: If you do something like a no sparge method or employ another process that leaves a lot of sugars behind just by the nature of the process, your efficiency will be much lower.

I wasn't chasing after high efficiency when I designed my setup. It's wasn't one of my main criteria (these are listed in my FAQ). It just came about that I get 95% because I spent a lot of time tweaking the process before I started building. My efficiency started off around 88% with my first few brews too. It wasn't until I started to play with salt additions and really got a handle on everything that it jumped to 95%. 95% is what I get when I follow my "Brew Day Step by Step" instructions exactly. (I wrote those a couple of years into using the setup... I wanted to make sure I had it right before publishing anything).

Quote:
Ultimately, I will get a RO system and start from scratch on my water (another thing LHBS guy told me wasn't worth the time..., but I know if you measure it and proceed with due technical respect for the process it is another aspect of it you can control). I know our water is generally fine the way I have been using it though Smile

Send a sample off to Ward labs for analysis. I believe it's only about $36. You'll get back all the numbers you need and can decide then. See:

https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

If your water is soft (low in minerals) then RO is likely not needed. Just add on whatever salts you need. This is what I do. I'm blessed with soft water so the hassles of RO are not required.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

If your water is soft (low in minerals) then RO is likely not needed. Just add on whatever salts you need. This is what I do. I'm blessed with soft water so the hassles of RO are not required.

Kal

Thanks for the perspective Kal. I was just a little annoyed at the time so I started ranting. I didn't build this setup for efficiency concerns either, I just want to do things right and avoid off-flavors in the beer. I was perfectly fine with whatever efficiency I had in my previous setup... I just didn't like all the heavy lifting and worrying over my temps Smile

The sparge water acidification question I asked him wasn't about efficiency at all since I told him it was after I had mashed out, so I was a little aggravated when he jumped back to mash efficiency and started lecturing. Hah, he is a cool guy though, so I will leave him to his gripes about misguided home brewing efforts. I doubt I will have to do much (I never have before) to keep the right mash pH. I think our water is generally pretty soft here. Anyhow, brew day awaits. I will report back elsewhere on the forum with results Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Don't get be wrong however: I do like the fact that I get high efficiency. It's great: A sack of grain goes almost 50% farther than what some other home brewers are getting. That does add up over time.

Kal

randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Yup. Don't get be wrong however: I do like the fact that I get high efficiency. It's great: A sack of grain goes almost 50% farther than what some other home brewers are getting. That does add up over time.

Kal

Agreed! I hit 1.054 with a target of 1.056 today. That is probably the most precise I have ever gotten. That was with the electric pale ale recipe grain bill, so I feel pretty good about that. My batch sparge system was super tedious to get dialed in and consistent. Also a comment on the Hanna Refractometer. I tried it out today for the first time also and it really needs a relatively debris free sample of water to get a good read. I accidentally gave it a hoppy sample (heh) and it was all over the place. I was comparing with my triple scale and the digital refractometer was dead on. Definitely a cool brewing toy!

I feel like another 4 to 5 batches and I will be able to hit whatever target I set up in Beersmith Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more benefit to keep in mind about higher efficiency is that you can brew higher gravity beers without needing a larger mash tun. This is something that is often overlooked.

Brew beer at an "average" efficiency? You'll need a mash tun that's 50% larger to accomodate higher gravity beers.

Kal

Jaspass

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I have water about 7.8 out of tap too. However after adding brewers salts, based on my water analysis, at the start of mash I am generally down to 5.8, so it doesn't take much lactic acid to dial it in from there.

A funny side effect of having an Electric Brewery as designed by Kal, is that once you show your LHBS a picture of your brewery, they generally stop questioning you. Smile
Jaspass

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about last post, just realized we were talking sparge and not mash. I do find I have to add a bit more lactic acid to my sparge water, maybe around 4ml, but I have not noticed it in the taste of my beer.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be an issue. You need about 1-2ml per gallon of 88% lactic before it even becomes something you can taste. So using using 4 ml in a large (10 gallon?) batch won't even be noticeable.

Kal

randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Shouldn't be an issue. You need about 1-2ml per gallon of 88% lactic before it even becomes something you can taste. So using using 4 ml in a large (10 gallon?) batch won't even be noticeable.

Kal

BTW I think it took about 3-4ml to get my sparge water down to 5.8. I dosed my mash with another 2 ml and some Burton water salts and got my mash down to like 5.3 even. So that was 6 ml or so total. I didn't want to push it more my first batch as I felt like I had it dialed in pretty good and my efficiency was about 93.5%, so beer tools is estimating about 5.8 (5.76% by my calculations) ABV if I get the 1.010 fg attenuation I am aiming for. For a first run I am super impressed. I feel like I can dial things in and make this system sing Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: