Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wubears71

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Holy Crap Kal! That is one sweet bathroom. Can I live in it?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor's kinda hard for sleeping. Bring a pillow.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiling is now 100% done. The grout lines have been cleaned and grouting has started.

Bathroom:

Bar/Brewery:

We've signed off on the fine wood work/cabinetry after looking at various wood samples and stains. We're going with walnut stained to look slightly grey, but not too dark to hide the interesting grain that walnut is known for.

Below are a few rough layout sketches that were used mostly for estimating purposes.

Window framing made of solid wood between bar & brewery, front of bar:

Top view of bar:

The bar taps and drip tray go along the left wall.
All of the bar cabinetry will be flat surface/simple, likely with pulls along the tops.

Fireplace wall:

At the bottom of the stairs is a barn style sliding door on the right:

On the left is a hinge door with blum hinges for access to the storage area under the stairs. It's also the 'head end' area where the phone/internet/cable/satellite come in and are distributed.

The fireplace wall, bar front, and sliding door have an aluminum insert as per the diagrams above. Below is a mock-up that was done to show us the general idea:

Not shown are the A/V rack for the home theater, the DVD shelves, or the riser steps and nosing. The riser steps will appear floating so legs have now been picked as well to go underneath:

The bathroom vanity has arrived on site. We weren't sure if we'd end up with a custom job some something pre-built. Lots of options were looked at and we ended up with a Ginza 42 Smoked Ash vanity from Art Bathe (a pre-built unit that comes complete with cabinets, quartz counter top, faucet, sink, and mirror):

The painter comes Friday to do some sanding and put on a first coat of paint. Everything has been mapped out for him.

Wall paint colours:

Ceiling paint colours:

Kal

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man. You are getting so close. I bet you are ready to settle into that basement and enjoy some movies and beers!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting there!

I'll still have a ton of things to do after the fact like set up the brewery, home theater (including calibration), and so on. Eventually it will all get done!

Kall

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're looking for a small bench to go in the bathroom niche and are having problems finding one that fits.

The opening is only 35.25" wide and most benches seem to be much larger than that. Anyone seen a bench that is somewhat contemporary/modern that would fit in that space?

Here are some pictures of the styles we like (but are all too big to fit in the 35.25" wide space):

It appears we like slat benches. Many appear to be knockoffs or at least inspired by the George Nelson platform bench that he first introduced in 1946:

Free beer to anyone who can find one that fits in a 35.25" space.

Kal

PCDesmond

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one that is 30", but it was posted a year ago and might be sold:

http://nicolewoodinteriors.blogspot.com/2011/07/mid-century-pair-of-slat-benches-340.html

Another one, but with less slats. 31" long:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/103681096/walnut-slat-bench

That's all I could quickly find. Pretty hard to find one less than 4 feet long. Good Luck.

rockinmarty

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal now is the time to use your incredible DIY skills buy some wood and build yourself a bench.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick. Maybe it's just me and they may actually be stable, but both of those benches seem to have legs that just seem too far in. It looks like the things would tip right over if you sat too far on the edge. The prices are certainly great. I'll have to poke around a bit more on etsy (it's one of the sites we looked up and down over).

RockinMarty: DIY or custom made is certainly one option we're looking at if nothing else can be found.

Kal

PCDesmond

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they look more like tables than benches. I too think you may have to go the home-built route.
rockinmarty

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Kal any news about the bench? Anything new? You know we live vicariously through you.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news on the bench. The design/build company's going to look at having something custom made. We'll see.

First coat of final paint was done:

Cedar in the sauna was installed:

Complete details on the sauna can be found in an older post here.
They did a great job cutting/installing the cedar. In fact, they did a better job than the instructions as they were able to hide all of the bench screws completely. Nice and clean. All that's left is installation of the Tylo heater and a small strip of cedar along along the bottom to act as a baseboard.

Vanity, urinal, and toilet were installed and plumbing done:

We decided that a single layer of 1/2" plywood on the riser wasn't enough so an extra layer of 5/8" T&G OSB was installed on top:

The brewery sink and vent hood were installed:

Kal

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice... I was just about to ask for an update too! Great timing. Looking so nice now that it is getting close to completion.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these urinals!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/539197_518271801531924_590331647_n.jpg
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Keg urinals seem pretty popular. I cam across a ton when I was searching for the urinal I wanted:

Not really the style I'm going for however. It's what I'd use in a saloon or college/university frat house. 20-25 years ago I would have been all over something a keg urinal. At almost 43 years old, not so much. Wink For our bathroom I prefer the clean/modern look of the Toto model we installed:

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh definitely - a keg would look really out of place in that modern masterpiece you have designed Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
oh definitely - a keg would look really out of place in that modern masterpiece you have designed Smile

Agreed. I think our designer would have kittens. Wink I keep freaking them out with comments like "but where does my classic collection of XXXX* go?" just to keep them on their toes.

* Replace XXXX with one of the following

- Collection of mint (still in the box) Star Wars action figures or life size busts
- Collection of vintage licence plates
- Vintage beer can collection

Apologies to anyone who collects star war action figures, licence plates, or beer cans.

In all seriousness, early on when I was running ideas through my head (before anything was designed), I did think it would be pretty cool to have a few alcoves/shelves in the wall where we were going to store DVDs/Blu-rays for life sized Star Wars busts to break up the monotony of lots of shelves of movies. I'm a big fan of the original trilogy (back when Greedo shot first). There's some really nice busts available:

I figured if done right with the right lighting, it would be pretty cool to have 2 or 3 in an inset bookshelf surrounded by movies.

In the end, my basement's not even close to big enough (and these busts are expensive!). It just didn't work out. If I was George Lucas, had a 15,000+ foot home and a room sized movie collection... then maybe I'd be all over these.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:18 am; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bar cabinetry was installed today:

We picked walnut for all of the fine woodwork in the basement as it has a more interesting and somewhat consistent grain. It's been stained greyish/brown. Here's a closeup:

Still missing are the doors, countertops, and front of the bar.

On Tuesday the company doing the countertops (Urban Quarry) come to template for the quartz. For the upper (front) bar we're going with Cambria Whitehall 0120 quartz:

Here it is installed somewhere else:

Very white indeed. The upper bar in this white quartz will also 'waterfall' off the edge to the floor.

For the lower bar we're going with Cambria Minera 5360 quartz:

Here it is installed somewhere else:

It's a greyer/silver/speckled quartz.

Lots of other minor things were done as well:

The fireplace box was lined with Roxul mineral wool & Durock cement board (for fireproofing):

The fireplace stainless box insert was installed and the gap in the drywall above was patched. You need to cut a larger hole to get the fireplace in first because of the bottom bump and then patch:

I suppose you could install it first and drywall around it too.

Some of the baseboard work has started. The baseboards are simple 7" high & flat. Some places require special cutting to make it fit right:

The A/V room behind the screen was insulated right up to (and including) the ceiling:

... and many other small minor things (painting trim, sealing/caulking/cleaning/etc) ...

Kal

BeerguyNC61

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
You must be really stoked about it all coming together!

When do you plan on starting to build the new brew equipment?

S
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no new brew equipment to build. I'm re-using everything I have.
'
Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 11 of 26
Jump to: