Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Ph Meter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Ph Meter? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Would this meter be useful in brewing?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IKNJPW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003IKNJPW&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

I am looking for one but don't want to spend 100 buck on it if I don't have to.

(Link updated to support this forum at no extra cost to you. We thank you! - Kal)
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the one I recommend here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=5

Reasons:

1. Waterproof. Just like the digital probe thermometer, having a waterproof pH meter is (in my opinion) an absolute must. I don't have to worry about humidity getting into the unit and cleaning it under the faucet is dead simple and worry-free as there is chance of getting the wrong parts wet.

2. Goes to 140F instead of only 122F. I regularly use mine to measure 150-155F wort knowing that it may be slightly 'off' because the probe is rated to only 140F. If it's only rated to 122F it'll likely be off even more.

3. Automatic temperature compensation. The one you ask about doesn't adjust for temp so you have to manually do the math and need a separate thermometer to take the temp reading. The 122F max is just the temp of the liquid you're allowed to submerse it in.

4. Built in temp probe. The one you ask about doen't have a built in temp probe. I find this really handy sometimes.

That said, it is 1/3 the price and is most certainly better than using strips. It's point #1 I don't like as it basically makes it disposible. I promise it *WILL* stop working after a few uses if you use it in your kettles. If you always pull of a sample, allow it to cool, and are careful when measuring not to get steam on it and careful wash it, then it'll last longer. I don't like to have to be that careful. I hold mine completly under the faucet to wash it with the butt end facing up such that the water runs down the entire probe (easier to clean it this way). I've dropped mine in the wort. YMMV. I subscribe more to the "buy once, use a lifetime" mentality, but that's just me.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal,
I think I will actually bite the bullet and purchase your suggested meter. Do I need to purchase the buffer solutions as well?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the extra chemicals regardless of what meter you use.

See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=5

You need two calibration solutions and the storage solution. So 3 total.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I believe I will purchase some strips and buy me some time to sock away the $ for the good meter and 3 solutions. Thanks for the input. I don't like being blind on the mash Ph. At least the strips will give me some feedback on what is going on...

Thanks for the advice.
Sheikyerbouti

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the Omega one. Only used it 2x, but it works very well and its easy to understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: