Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

About to place a Rhizome order

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Hop Growing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: About to place a Rhizome order Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've missed the chance for the last two years, always remembering too late in the season that one generally needs to make a pre-order for hop rhizomes as they sell out fast.

Thus far, and I'm really thinking out loud at this point, I'm considering the following as I generally enjoy Stouts, Porters and German style beers like Beck's. That said, these can be used for other brew varieties as well:

Cascade
Crystal
Fuggle

I'm debating if I should also go with Chinook, Nugget or perhaps Galena, Chinook being maybe a little too pungent? I wanted Perle but it's sold out already and I can get it locally dried if I needed.

There's so many choices, I guess I just want a well rounded selection without going overboard of what I can grow in the garden and keeping the purchase cost to a minimum.

Anyone else have opinions? Looking to place the order very soon.
View user's photo album (19 photos)
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered 2 of each:
Goldings
Halertauer
Sterling (saaz like but better suited for US growing)
Tettnanger

Going to make 4 mounds next to the wall of my house and put up a trellis for each mound. First try growing so fingers crossed.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi greg, I've not bought rhizomes, so I can't speak from experience, but I have 3 friends with wild hops growing. The thing with home grown hops is getting the IBUs. You mention chinook, nugget and galena all are bittering hops with high AAs. But exactly how much, and how much can it vary from the typical values? 25%? 50%? I imagine it's dependent upon the soil condition, sunlight, water and all that.

Because of the lack of IBU data, I wont be using home-grown hops for bittering. Instead I plan to harvest hop cones this year from friends, and use them as flavour/aroma hops. This year, I will also try growing my own (either from bought rhizomes or from cuttings from my friends hops.) Blogs on the net suggest not relying upon the first year's harvest, so it will be a couple of years before I can start using them "for real".

crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feurhund wrote:
Goldings
Halertauer
Tettnanger

Going to make 4 mounds next to the wall of my house and put up a trellis for each mound. First try growing so fingers crossed.

Good choice, I would have gone for the same. Maybe some Fuggles also, and some brambling cross, and ...oh I need another house wall to grow against!

Where did you order them from? Will they the survive 6 weeks surface mail, or should I order airmail?

Greg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, well after a week of changing my mind multiple times from countless hours of reading I pulled the trigger and placed my order through fourhorses.ca as some of the ones I was looking to buy were getting low in stock, down to single digits. Even if I don't use them in the coming years at least I'll have something cool growing in the garden. Here's what I ordered:

Cascade
Galena
Golding
Santiam
Willamette

Your purchase, Feurhund, really made me me rethink what it is I may brew and the flavors I want to impart. I feel it's a pretty well rounded group in the end.
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
Feurhund wrote:
Goldings
Halertauer
Tettnanger

Good choice, I would have gone for the same. Maybe some Fuggles also, and some brambling cross, and ...oh I need another house wall to grow against!

Where did you order them from? Will they the survive 6 weeks surface mail, or should I order airmail?

They should survive fine. I got mine from northern brewer. I won't be able to plant for a while..snow. So I read you just wrap them in damp newspaper and keep cool, not a problem.
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update on how things are in the garden this year.

I haven't really dedicated a good space to growing the hops, they more so went in the ground next to any existing taller structure. The soil could use more organic matter but for now they're doing well. We had a cold June where pretty much everything stopped growing, including the grass. Out of the 5 I planted, 3 in another location, these 2 are off to the best start this year were as they only grew about 4-5' last season. As you can see in the photo the Cascade bine on the right, Galena on the left, has surpassed the the nearly 6.5' wall by about a foot is is still going. I'll probably just trellis it across the top. Last years crop of Golding, I believe, netted about a small hand full.

hops.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.87 KB
 Viewed:  13685 Time(s)

hops.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Hop Growing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: