Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
wubears71 wrote:
What progress! That sucks about the riser not being quite right but at least the fix is relatively straight forward.

Yup. It's already done. Wink

Quote:
I wish you could share the bulkhead framing method pics as that would be neat to see what is so proprietary. It must be quite a competitive advantage for them.

I wish I could but unfortunately I can't. It makes taking pictures difficult as well. Once drywall's up however it'll be easy again.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KES

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, are you changing anything in your version 1 layout of the brew room with version 2? I'm finishing up my brew room and my layout mirrors your original. Thought I would ask if you have changed anything due to having a clean slate to start with. By layout, I refering locations of sink, brew stand, CP, etc.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KES wrote:
Hey Kal, are you changing anything in your version 1 layout of the brew room with version 2? I'm finishing up my brew room and my layout mirrors your original. Thought I would ask if you have changed anything due to having a clean slate to start with. By layout, I refering locations of sink, brew stand, CP, etc.

Nope! The layout of the sink, brew stand with kettles, and control panel remains identical.

What I'm gaining is more room behind and to the sides. For example, I plan on another table to the left of the sink, some shelves for storing grain, and so on. I'm also putting the keg freezer (keezer) for serving in the brewery along with a regular freezer for storing hops and yeast, and so on. Just a lot more storage.

Kal

KES

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you looked cramped for room and storage in ver 1.0. Mine brew room is roughly 10 x 11 feet. Still got floor covering, vent hood to build, and get a frig or freezer for fermentation.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I had zero storage in the previous room. It was a large wine wrack and then the brewing setup. Everything pre and post wort creation (storage/milling/fermenting/racking/kegging/etc) was done in a separate furnace room before. Now it's all moving to the 'brewery'.

I'm probably not gaining much room, just consolidating everything into one place.

Kal

StapletonBrewing

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

We've got room for about 3-4 rows floor to ceiling. The ones we're interested in are VintageView Wine Racks. They're reasonably priced and a lot cheaper than typical wine racks. They're also more modern than your typical wood wine rack which is in line with the style of what we want to go with.

And thus, two worlds collide! Mug

While I'm online researching ideas for an electric brewery in my basement, I see a photo of some very familiar wine racks! Vintage View's offices are about 3 miles from my house, my step-daughter works there, and the owner is a friend. They make GREAT racks, and can hold several bottles deep. Of course here's another use for them in MY office!

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had to bring up baseball... Last night's Ranger game was absolutely embarrassing... Embarassed
View user's photo album (10 photos)
StapletonBrewing

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most of those bats have Phillies autographs, and it has been a really tough season so far!

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
The layout of the sink, brew stand with kettles, and control panel remains identical.

Did you give any thought to a larger (2 or three bowl) work sink? I'm planning on a restaurant sink with 2 or three compartments (24x24 each) so I can have sanitizer in one, clean water in another, etc. Of course I bottle instead of kegging, so the extra sink space really comes in handy!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StapletonBrewing wrote:
kal wrote:
The layout of the sink, brew stand with kettles, and control panel remains identical.

Did you give any thought to a larger (2 or three bowl) work sink? I'm planning on a restaurant sink with 2 or three compartments (24x24 each) so I can have sanitizer in one, clean water in another, etc. Of course I bottle instead of kegging, so the extra sink space really comes in handy!

Thought about it but then I couldn't find a good reason for it myself. YMMV. If you need sanitizer in one it's probably because you're bottling (?) and I don't bottle anymore.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much change to show by the end of the week as most of the work was fixing up existing framing and working on bulkheads/soffits (which I can't show - sorry!). A dropped L-shaped overhang was built over the bar too.

The riser has been fixed by slapping on a few spare 2x12's to the front:

Not how you'd build it in the first place but it was the quickest way and the lumber was already on site.

Some of the smaller details are starting to get built now like niches:

The one above is next to the sauna and will be for towels and other things. A bench of some sort will go below.

Today I thought I'd test my new tap tower to make sure that there aren't any leaks given that it's completely welded together and not really serviceable.

So I attached the tower temporarily to a piece of OSB that happens to already have a perfect cutout, then attached all of the faucets, filled a keg with water, set the pressure to various pressures from 5 to 20 PSI, and then pushed water through each of the faucets one by one:

Worked great. No leaks at all.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention:

I also picked up my modified brewery vent hood on Friday. I needed to have the exhaust moved from the front to the top. Not as easy as it seems if you don't want the changes to be visible.

I had dropped off my vent hood with Superior Kitchen Equipment a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately when I went to pick it up last week the work was done incorrectly so it got left there and they promised to fix it up.

Turns out that they couldn't do exactly what they had promised originally by modying the existing hood (and the mistakes only made it worse) so they built a brand new hood for me from scratch, no extra charge.

Thumbs up for customer service. If you're in the Ottawa Canada area go see Superior Kitchen Equipment for anything stainless (sinks/tables/hoods/custom work), tell them that Kal from the TheElectricBrewery.com sent you. Ask for Moe. Phone: (613)288-3020 local, 1(800)749-0012 toll free long distance.

The new hood:

A shot of where I've been brewing for the last ~10 months:

I can't wait to have the dedicated basement brewery finished. I find brewing in the garage I spend half my time running around the house looking for things since it's not a dedicated area.

Kal

Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is your back? Mine would be killing me if the panel was that low!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

Oh for SHAME!

LOL

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike Innovations wrote:

Yup. The control panel position sucks. I can't wait to have it back up on the wall where it belongs! Though what I'm most looking forward to is having the sink hooked up again.

Kal

cscade

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly why I decided to do the basement build. Garage brewing sucks, you never have everything you need at hand.

Looking good!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can't wait to have the dedicated basement brewery finished. I find brewing in the garage I spend half my time running around the house looking for things since it's not a dedicated area.

Kal

Poor Sweetie.. if only I had a garage. Still have to find some room in the basement but I have to paint the whole house before SWMBO lets me work on the brewery project.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike Innovations wrote:
He must sit in those little chairs when making adjustments. LOL It still looks great just sitting in the garage
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the kids chairs. I have them sit in front of the panel pushing buttons for me as required. Wink

Kal

chutracheese

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal,
Did you document how you had you pump and chiller lines and tubing hooked up witht the camper antifreeze? Pics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 5 of 26
Jump to: