Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Does the temp probe location matter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crypt0

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Does the temp probe location matter? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I noticed Kal has his probes installed on the output of his valves for his HLT and MT. I was considering mounting my probes directly in vessles, but I'm curious if there are any advantages to mounting to the output of the kettle?

Thanks
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One less hole in your kettle comes to mind Smile
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to be able to take the temperatures of the water and wort as it flows. If you just stick it in the kettle you will only get a stratified temperature, in your mash if you don't have good flow you will get a miss reading of temperature and miss your target temperatures. It also helps you notice if your having flow problems with pumps of a stuck sparge by displaying temperature swings. Remember this system is designed to control the process/temperatures. This is a very important placement of the probes and should not be minimized. Keep them in the flow.

Castermmt
crypt0

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Castermmt, and drilling less holes should not be overlooked perogi Smile

I think you've sold me on mounting them on the outputs. I have massive temperature probes for my system, so I think I'll buy a cross fitting and mount it horizontally just before the bulkhead.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always better to ask then to regret! Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
You want to be able to take the temperatures of the water and wort as it flows. If you just stick it in the kettle you will only get a stratified temperature, in your mash if you don't have good flow you will get a miss reading of temperature and miss your target temperatures. Remember this system is designed to control the process/temperatures. This is a very important placement of the probes and should not be minimized. Keep them in the flow.

+1. This is the exact reason. In closed loop control systems like this you want to measure in the flow, not in holding tanks.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crypt0

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same lines, I noticed Kal has installed his probe downstream of the ballvalve, meaning you cannot get any temparture reading without running the water/wort. I was considering mounting the temp probe ahead of the valve so you would get a reading even if your valve is closed.

Is this along the same line of thinking as measuring the temparture in the flow? Does it matter? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks again
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water needs to be flowing for accurate reading, so it doesn't matter if you put it before or after as when the valve is closed, the reading will not be accurate.

I put it after as that makes the valve handle stick out less.

Kal

Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Water needs to be flowing for accurate reading, so it doesn't matter if you put it before or after as when the valve is closed, the reading will not be accurate.

I put it after as that makes the valve handle stick out less.

Kal

+1 on must have flow.

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask this question on another board, you will get a great variety of answers. As designed for Kal's system and process, the probes should be where they are. I do not use a 100% Kal system, nor do I follow his process 100%. I follow this board because most people around here know a lot, and I am an electric brewer with a HERMS. My probes are in the vessels. My process is different. I have a motor for a stirrer for my HLT, but I haven't installed it yet. Right now I manually stir it periodically when the HERMS coil is being used, and that seems to be working well enough for me.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That works too. You basically need to keep the liquid in motion to avoid stratification, and it also helps greatly with heat transfer in the HERMS coils (as far as the HLT is concerned).

That's why my HLT is continously pumped out the bottom and back into the top. That could be replaced with a motorized stirring mechanism - some people do stirrers through the lid. Looks like an auger. Here's an example:

Link: http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Carl%27s-Electric-HLT

I considered this early on but I prefer the pump idea as then I don't have to attach a motor to the kettle lid which in my setup would just get in the way when you want to remove the lid. I think things to be somewhat permanently attached and out of the way. I needed 2 pumps anyway for sparging so the choice (for my setup) became more obvious.

Every setup's different of course. YMMV!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: