Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Welcome to the All Grain Brewing forum!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Welcome to the All Grain Brewing forum! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Purchasing using our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you! We thank you!

-------------------

Discussions on subjects that involve brewing with 100% grain. All grain brewing has some extra complexities as compared to extract or partial extract brewing, including mash temperature, mash times, and even the pH. Extra equipment is required as well.

Make sure to visit our main site for full instructions on building your own 100% all grain Electric Brewery. We show you what's needed, where to get it, how to assemble it, how to use it, and provide some world-class recipes. START BUILDING NOW »

For equipment and supplies we recommend our affiliates listed here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24489

Kal

-------------------
Purchasing using our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you! We thank you!

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:07 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jimboramma

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're efficiency is at 95%! I find that to be extraordinary and it's the best I've ever heard of. I'm not surprised, given, the brewery you've designed and built. I never, ever, thought of brewing with electricity, but you have definitely inspired me. My system is a long way off, but perhaps someday....

It seems to me that a very big part of brewhouse efficiency has to do with extraction of the sugars from the grains. The crush on the grains plays a big part in that and I was wondering what the gap setting is on your Barley Crusher mill? I know that come factory set at .039", but I imagine that you've made adjustments to that in order to obtain the yields you are getting. Can you tell me what your mill gap is set at? Are you hand cranking out your grain bills, using a drill, or have you set up a motorized system?

Thank you for putting together such an amazing web site. It's truly one of the most informative one's on brewing I've ever seen.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can read all about how I crush including the gap setting I use here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/grain-mill

Efficiency is probably the least important thing to chase after (in my humble opinion). Yes, I get 95% but it's not really something I care about. I get high efficiency simply because I paid close attention to every facet of the brewing setup during the design of the setup, and I also pay close attention to the process during brew day - including pH/water adjustment. When you pay close attention and try to do everything right, high efficency tends to follow, within reason.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: