Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

50A Control Panel 30+ gallons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenny

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've used my system twice so far- The coil transferred heat perfectly the first time. The second time was a little trickier due to a stuck mash tun and opaque hoses but based on my limited experience I would agree with Kal and say the 50' is definitely enough
So where in Pa are you from?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Someone just asked if the doubled up elements are wired in series or parallel but seems to have erased their post now. Wink Here's my response anyway:

Parallel. See the first post in this thread for more details. It says:

Quote:
Add two extra NEMA L6-30 (250VAC/30A) twist lock electrical female receptacles to the bottom for the two extra elements. The extra outlets would be wired in parallel (not series) with existing ones to give the same 240V drop across each element. Each receptacle would pull 4500W of power for a total of 9000W per kettle. I like the idea of just doubling up elements and keeping how they’re connected to the kettle and control panel exactly the same as it would be easier and also cheaper, you simply have two 10 ga cords going to each kettle instead of one. The other option is to upgrade the receptacles to 50A versions and fatter 6 ga wire which goes into one outlet box to power one element and then splits off with 10 ga wire into a second outlet box to power the other element. This is likely messier, harder wiring, more connection points around the kettle. Also requires more of a redesign with different wiring of course, something that isn’t documented. If we stick with what’s already documented on my site it’s dead simple as people can just follow existing instructions. You just do 4 elements instead of 2. Easy.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ohararp

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, of course I double checked after my post. Just deleted. Thanks for the quick response though!
TheSyndicateBrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny wrote:
I've used my system twice so far- The coil transferred heat perfectly the first time. The second time was a little trickier due to a stuck mash tun and opaque hoses but based on my limited experience I would agree with Kal and say the 50' is definitely enough
So where in Pa are you from?

I'm from the York county area.
Kenny

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Im about 1.5-2 hours from there. Good luck with your build
WAKeele

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would one be able to run a 50A box for a 30A system to allow for room to expand down the road?
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAKeele wrote:
Would one be able to run a 50A box for a 30A system to allow for room to expand down the road?

Yes. Most definitely. On the 50 amp control panel you have 4 heating element receptacles on the bottom instead of 2 to allow for 2 heating elements per kettle.

There's no reason why you couldn't only use 2 of them for now, in something like 20 gallon kettles (for example). There would be one in each kettle just like my setup.

Then later down the road when you want to upgrade to (say) 55 gallon kettles, you would install 2 elements per kettle and plug them in.

The system would look, feel, and behave identically. Just more power per kettle (9000W instead of 5500W).

We're currently working on building a couple of 50 amp control panels for customers and plan on having them up for sale some time in (hopefully) early 2012.

Kal

WAKeele

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I was thinking there shouldn't be anything keeping me from doing that, but wanted to make sure. I'll take one then! Wink (I'll be sending an email shortly)
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAKeele wrote:
Excellent! I was thinking there shouldn't be anything keeping me from doing that, but wanted to make sure. I'll take one then! Wink (I'll be sending an email shortly)

Yup. It's more cost however of course. Parts get more expensive as you move up in amperage. At 50 amps things are still somewhat standardized. Above that there are basically no standards when it comes to plugs/connectors so things get very expensive very fast if the intent is to keep the design the same.

If you never expect to brew more than (say) 20 gallons at once then there's no reason to go with a 50 amp control panel/power cord/outlet as they do cost more.

Kal

pbrink231

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if its possible to run 2x 30Amp outlets and have the box work off that. Since your ending up using 4 elements couldnt you just add the extra inlet to run the other two. The box would need to be increased of course to add the other elements but this way you could easily expand when the time is right to increase an extra two 5500W heating elements.

I was looking into this way so that I could have both the HLT and the Boil tank run at the same time for now and 2 at the same time in one tank later when I get larger tanks.
WAKeele

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this reminds me of something I was thinking about before I got derailed by life. Would it be easy to rig a four element system where you could individually control each element so you could have any two elements running at a time? Something that could allow for using say two Boil elements to bring to a boil, then switch to one to maintain and bring up one in the HLT.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible if you redesign it to accomodate. I wouldn't do it myself as running multiple separate circuits into one box seems a bit of an odd thing to do and could pose some safety issues/concerns if wires were to cross or have problems. I'l probably feel better wiring a panel directly into a dedicated 60 amp circuit.

Kal

Rcwilbert

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody with a 1 bbl have heat times they would like to share using this setup? Mostly looking for someone that uses the 2 4500W elements.
Thanks,
Rick
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick: 9000W will raise the temp by approximately 2 degrees F per minute in 1 bbl of of water. You can use that to do your calculations.

Kal

aproveau@gmail.com

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Hole placement Reply with quote

Any information regarding the placement (how far from the bottom) the two heating element holes and the HERMS coil are for a 55 gallon Blichmann BoilerMaker kettle?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hole placement Reply with quote

aproveau@gmail.com wrote:
Any information regarding the placement (how far from the bottom) the two heating element holes and the HERMS coil are for a 55 gallon Blichmann BoilerMaker kettle?

I've never used one myself, so sorry, no. Just make sure you have enough room for the electrical box on the outside. Once they're in, do the same for the HERMS coil. Positioning is not critical.

KAl

aproveau@gmail.com

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hole placement Reply with quote

Thanxs Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added some pictures to the first post in this thread. We hope to have these 50A panels available for order later this summer.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

The first post of this thread has now been updated with detailed wiring diagrams for building a 50 amp control panel.

Good luck to the DIY'ers out there. Pre-built & tested panels are coming soon!

Kal

sethx9

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Identifying parts in pictures Reply with quote

In the photo of the inside of the 50A panel (not the back of the door) what is that mounted between the buses on the top right and the transformers and DC power supplies on the top left? And do you have part numbers and suppliers for those perforated cages over the transformers and DC power supplies?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: