Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Trotsky Ale House Brewery

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Trotsky Ale House Brewery Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I started this build in December. It's actually been up and running for a month now but wasn't able to fully clean up everything and get pictures going until now. Before this I had really never done anything DIY. With Kal's great guide, I was able to follow everything very well and felt very comfortable with the process.

The room I choose in my house was unfinished bare cement floor with a sump pump in it. I dry walled one portion of the wall myself, stained the floor terra cotta, and had an electrician give me some new lighting and my power.

I bought my control panel from Mike at Spike Innovations and his work is amazing. The control panel was one portion of the build I didn't feel comfortable with as I had less than zero experience with things like that and some of the wiring with the elements made me nervous as is.

My house had an this side by side fridge that came with it so I decided to turn half of it into a lagering chamber and keep the freezer side frozen to store hops. Its run by an ebay controller and has been working flawlessly.

Thanks again to Kal!
Holter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Looks like a solid room.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - nice! That's one giant brewing space. Lots of counter area and a double sink. I'm jealous!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
benoitbo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow very well done. So much room!! and well organized I love it.

Cheers!

Control Panel Ready, Kettles Ready, Pumps Ready. First Dry Run. Working on the Hood and fermentation Chamber.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very jealous!!! Can I recommend one thing? Throw away those Solo cups - you have a REAL brewery now - glass only!!! Smile
cscade

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Cheers!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Wow - nice! That's one giant brewing space. Lots of counter area and a double sink. I'm jealous!

Kal

Three compartment actually! I originally didn't want it that big, but got a great deal on it and love every aspect of it, as I use the space a lot.

The solo cups are there for beer pong! I produce a light lager for my buddies to come over and drink. The style is very challenging to make, especially for how little taste you get out of it. Not my preferred beer. But the good news is that it resembles my premium lager and people are drinking that and its a gateway to some of my other beers.

I actually could use some more shelving in the room or storage. I'm considering taking part of that unfinished wall next to the TV and put some shelves there.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice!.. your home doesn't look very old, ( construction materials).. noticed you have all copper plumbing, is that code or an upgrade?

silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
Very Nice!.. your home doesn't look very old, ( construction materials).. noticed you have all copper plumbing, is that code or an upgrade?

silverspoons

It's actually all PVC! The same white PVC you usually go buy at any HD. However, to match the room, I spray painted all the pipes a copper metallic paint and it really brought the room together. Otherwise, the white was an eye sore.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking Sweeeeeet! I like the idea of a island bench. I had white PVC sticking out of my roof for the drain vent's and I painted them like you did, I used brown to match the roof. Great job!
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just wow!

Seriously sweet room and setup. Appreciate the kind words as well. I get so jealous looking at these photos of everyone's breweries (especially those that I have helped to build), and I can't help but wish I had mine set up!

Best of luck with everything and enjoy!

(Oh, and I couldn't help but notice TROGDOR!!!! hahaha)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
Looking Sweeeeeet! I like the idea of a island bench. I had white PVC sticking out of my roof for the drain vent's and I painted them like you did, I used brown to match the roof. Great job!

The island bench is multifunctional. For what you mentioned, and than of course beer pong.

It is regulation length and height.

8 ' x 2 ' x 27.5" H

Last edited by -MG- on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
cscade

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed the difference in the Blichmann emblem height. Are they different age kettles?
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! That is a bit odd. See the middle one:

I know that Blichmann has changed them slightly over the years (these handles are different from the ones I bought back in 2008 for example) but these 3 kettles in the photo appear the same other than the Blichmann sticker on the front. Strange!

The kettles all appear to be the same size.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were all bought the same time in December from Adventures in homebrewing.

I saw that as well awhile ago and just figured someone messed up.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be an early Monday morning, or late Friday afternoon thing. Wink
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been almost a year since the brewery was built and my wife and I have purchased a new house!

There is an unfinished room in the basement that will become the new brewery. I also need to install my home theater setup in the other room eventually.

Kal's new build is inspirational for me building my new room. This time there isn't much as far as equipment to change since I still have the quality items from the first time. Eventually i'll get pictures, but won't be for a little while.

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Moving the brewery already. I hope the new house brew space is as expansive as your old house. Post pics when you are set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: