Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Janet's Brown Ale
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Janet's Brown Ale Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/janets-brown-ale

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:14 pm; edited 56 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
RussH

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, You've read my mind. One of the local Micro's (the one who gave me the wedge wire) makes a Cascadian Brown Ale, a very hoppy brown, and it's delicious. I decided I wanted something like it for a fall/winter beer, so that was my plan for my next beer. This is one of the recipes I was eying up. I think you've made up my mind for me.
rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet's Brown is a great recipe, if you like hoppy beers! Everyone I know who has brewed it has received rave reviews.

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added the dry hops and tasted a sample beforehand... I can see why everyone likes this one!

Kal

RussH

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it Kal? I'll be dry hopping mine on tuesday. Really excited.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a keg of it in the chest freezer 2 days ago (had to wait for a spot to clear up). I'd say this one's a definite must brew again in my books if you like american style hoppy beers.

Kal

RussH

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the first bottle of this last night. Then the second, then the third.... This is some seriously good stuff. I want to brew it again right away, just so there's no down time between batches.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast forward a few months.... the first keg is done and the second was placed in the serving freezer about 2-3 weeks ago.
This is a really nice beer that I plan on keeping in circulation. It almost has a slightly 'Porter' taste to it but with an American slant.

it's citrusy/fruity hops paired with a rich malt background of chocolate, roast, and caramel flavours and aromas.

While it's hopped as high as many America IPAs it doesn't taste it because of all the malt backbone.

The roast is very subtle. Everything you read says don't combine roasty with hoppy but for whatever reason the levels here are subdued enough that it just works. I can see why this beer has won many awards.

Kal

Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
What efficiency level is the recipe listed?
(ie - most recipes are 70-75% efficiency)
Thanks,
Sparky
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky wrote:
Kal,
What efficiency level is the recipe listed?
(ie - most recipes are 70-75% efficiency)
Thanks,
Sparky

Hmmm, seems I missed a couple of lines. I've added it now. It's 95%.
I also noticed that I had 1.066 OG. That should have read 1.068. The ABV went up very slightly too.
All fixed.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this beer again ~2 weeks ago and last night I racked out of the primary after dry hopping (1 week ferment, add dry hops to primary, leave 1 week).

The beer's now in a couple of 5 gallon glass carboys with gelatine. (My 'brite' tanks). They'll stay there for ~2 days and then kegged.

This beer is fantastic as usual. Anyone else making it recently?

Kal

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal - Just read the recipe for the first time and I think this will be one of the first few batches to brew on my new setup! Here's hoping mine comes out!
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most American Ales it's an easy beer to make. Just make sure to let it ferment out properly. I usually leave it for a good 7-10 days at around 66F ambient and then add the dry hops directly to the primary and leave another 7-10 days, then rack to a secondary to clear. Leaving the beer on the primary yeast this long always helps clean things up and attenuates the beer properly.

The biggest mistakes new brewers make is trying to do things too soon (like racking) thinking that they need to take some action. 99% of the time if you think there's some issue during fermentation, the best thing to do is simply wait. A secondary fermentation is not required and will do more harm than good. Don't rush it.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Kal - much appreciated. I'll likely brew this batch as the first one to go into my 15 gallon plastic conical after I get it setup, and then I'll be sure to be patient! Smile
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm brewing this today for the second time using Wyeast 1056. It's a perfect blend of malts and hops and for a pretty big beer it's very enjoyable as well. I sat on this beer all summer and when I got back from my assignment(Pittsburgh, PA) I was able to enjoy this as one of my favorites and will always be in my cooler. If you haven't tried this beer your missing something pretty darn special. Mug

Be safe and have a Happy New year, Castermmt Mug

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be a good replacement for hops, if I didn't want it to be a real hoppy beer?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the hop choices that make it hoppy, it's the amounts. The types of hops make it decidedly american (as do the choices of grain and yeast).

You could cut the hops in half or so.

Depends whether you mean hop flavour, aroma, or bitterness too when you say "hoppy".

If you don't like hoppy beers, I would probably make something else. Start a new thread about what types of beers you like and maybe someone can offer recipe suggestions.

Kal

Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hmmm, seems I missed a couple of lines. I've added it now. It's 95%.
I also noticed that I had 1.066 OG. That should have read 1.068. The ABV went up very slightly too.
All fixed.

Kal

Kal - I'm about to brew my second batch of Janet's, and I just had a couple of questions for you regarding the gravity values shown in the recipe. I'm trying to work through this based on my results to date showing about 85% mash efficiency, so I was comparing to yours.

Anyway you show a 95% mash efficiency with 13.9 gal pre-boil and 12 gal post-boil. Using the shown grain measurements I come up with 67.7 gravity points maximum from the five grains for the 13.9 gal wort collected (using 38, 37, 32, 34, 28 max PPG respectively for each of the 5 grains in order in the recipe, from Palmer's online table). With a 95% mash efficiency that makes the pre-boil gravity 1.064 points. Assuming a boil down to 12 gallons I then get 1.074 as the post-boil gravity which is a wee bit higher than the 1.068 shown in the recipe.

Can you explain how you got the numbers you show, or are those from morebeer.com?

If I run through it again using 85% mash efficiency for my system I get 1.058 pre-boil OG and 1.067 post-boil OG, which would be just about perfect relative to the 1.068 OG of the recipe.

I'm just trying to understand this process a bit more thoroughly - never used to care back in the "old" days brewing with gas and mashing in a cooler. We got what we got and we drank it! Smile

Thanks, Kevin
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr, wait a second. It's supposed to be a 90 minute boil, not 60. I fixed the recipe in the original post to call for 90 minute boil. The grain amounts were right. You'll need to start off with more pre-boil. 14.9 gallons in my case but boil off rates are different for each system. Sorry about that. The grain percentages and the OG were right however. That's all that matters. With any recipe you play with the grain amounts until you get the target OG you want for you system's efficiency for the given boil duration.

The second time I made it I reduced the grain amounts slightly to account for a 60 minute boil (I didn't see the point of 90 as per the original recipe, but I wanted to stay true the first time I made it). The result seemed identical to me from what I remembered from brewing it the first time.

Looking around the interwebs, for this popular recipe some call for 60 mins boil, some for 90 min. I'm sure either will give great results. (Both have for me).

Kal

Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! I just wanted to make sure I can still do math! Cool

My first batch on my new system was this recipe, and in spite of several miscues by me that first time it still came out great. I'm having a pint now in fact.

Thanks Kal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: