Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

mypin temperature controller

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dj

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: mypin temperature controller Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I'm a first time poster. I'm in the process of building by electric brewery. I am at the point where I am wiring the PID temperature controls. I bought the cheaper versions on EBAY. The company is called "MYPIN". Here is my problem. My controllers have only 9 terminals on them. 1-6 on the left side, and 7-9 on the right. All the wiring diagrams show a 10 pin controller! Even the same model on the MYPIN website shows this model as having ten terminals. There is a schematic of sorts on the side, but I'm not electronically literate enough to decipher the symbols.

Can anyone help me?

DJ
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it come with documentation, can you take a picture and post it?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up that not all PIDs have the same functionality. There are many different types and configurations.

There are dozens if not hundreds of PID manufacturers that exist. There are many that will work perfectly well and provide the functionality I've documented on this website, but conversely there are also many that will not provide all the same functionality.

Even if the number of pins on your brand is the same as the ones in my documentation, do not assume the pinout is the same. That's a very dangerous thing to do!

You need to take the manual for your PID and the manual for the PID I documented for and map it out. Hopefully the ones you bought are for (a) SSR use and not relay, (b) support RTD temp probes and not just TC, (c) have both manual and automatic mode for use with the HLT and Boil Kettle, (d) have alarming functionality, (e) are powered by 120VAC, and so on.

If there's anything different then the wiring will most likely be different. You may have to also modify the control panel if some functionality is now provided (like alarming for example), or using different temp probes with different wiring if RTD probes are not supported.

Programming and buttons will be different too so be careful when you follow those instructions as well.

What model PID did you buy? (MYPIN probably makes many models?). Do you have a manual for your model?

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dj

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Mypin doc's Reply with quote

Great input! I did not receive documents with the components. Also, I checked their website and there is nothing there. It is an Asian company with a sparse website. Anyway, I may have the wrong parts. Attached is the only "schematic" which is a label on the side. If this is not enough to decipher the pin-out, I will need to get the parts from Auber to make sure I have compatibility(beer is my thing, not electronics!) .

Thanks,

DJ

mypin component.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.43 KB
 Viewed:  31862 Time(s)

mypin component.jpg

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty basic, only difference I see is you have everything needed but a second alarm, which you don't need unless you want separate high/low alarms.

*screws 1 and 2 are voltage in
* screws 3 and 4 are SSR + and -
* screws 5 and 6 are alarm out (not sure if you have the option to set it for high or low)
* screws 7, 8 and 9 are the temperature probe connections.

Hope this helps, Be Safe, castermmt
dj

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. As I said, I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to electronics.

Thanks again!!!!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/mypin-pid-temp-controller-301423/

Seems that these PIDs lack "manual" control which means you can't use them for the boil PID.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dj

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal. I think the lesson is to go with Aubers or an exact clone. For anyone else who may need doc's, I finally got them from the distributor. They can be found here. http://www.agptek.com/software/PC5-2012-latest-manual.pdf

DJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: