Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

blichmann pot calibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdsnyder2002

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: blichmann pot calibration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does anyone have statistics on the 20 gallon blichmann pots? Looking for heat transfer coefficient and heat capacity.

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen anything like this for any pot.

Just out of curiosity, what are you looking at doing or why do you want this information? Heat transfer how? From heating below? Inside? Something else?

The Blichmann pots are 18ga stainless steel. They are not meant to hold heat within. They would transfer heat through the walls the same as any 18ga stainless pot. I'm not sure if they're 304 or 316 stainless or something different.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pdsnyder2002

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most brewing software programs have this as an option to dial in your brewing system. An example would be to see how much temerature loss you would get to your first runnings, as you pump the hot wort to the room temperature boil kettle. It is not essential information by any means, but more of a curiosity.

Also, another post mentioned that he has to set his hlt temp a little higher to maintain the mash tun temp. So, knowing what the heat x-fer of the mash tun might be useful to a brewer.

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! That makes sense.

I've never seen this sort of information posted but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist of course! Maybe someone has come across it and can post it here.

The one place I think it's the most critical is during mashing for systems that do not maintain temperature (like people mashing in picnic coolers). On my setup we constantly heat the wort carefully via HERMS so any heat loss is returned. If the pot was losing more heat then the HLT element would simply fire more often to maintain temp. That's the nice thing about set-and-forget systems.

I'm not sure who posted about having to set their HLT higher than MLT to maintain mash temp... maybe they didn't build the setup the same as mine? On my setup I don't have to do this. Whatever I set the HLT to, the MLT follows.

Here's picture of the HLT set to and measuring 149F, the MLT is also at 149F as it follows exactly - there is no differential (both temp probes have been calibrated):

If you don't pump as fast, use different pumps, different HERMS coil, and/or maybe use different hoses, then maybe it wouldn't work the same way.

I've never liked offsets as it's something else to "remember" so I wanted to make sure that the MLT would always follow the HLT exactly. It just makes it more obvious/simpler to use.

Kal

pdsnyder2002

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do the measurements and post a reply with those statistics. Some brewers who brew in cold conditions may want that information!!

Pete
WAKeele

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure if you contact John Blichmann, he'll prove you with any information he has. I want to say I've heard this discussed before in an interview with him or at least by some others with experience (John Palmer maybe) on a Brewing Network podcast.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdsnyder2002 wrote:
Most brewing software programs have this as an option to dial in your brewing system. An example would be to see how much temerature loss you would get to your first runnings, as you pump the hot wort to the room temperature boil kettle. It is not essential information by any means, but more of a curiosity.

FWIW my wort in the boil kettle ends up at around 145F once the 60-90 sparge is done.

This will vary with room temp and also if you leave the boil kettle lid on mostly while sparging or not. If you were to brew outdoors I'm sure it would be lower.

I don't have first/second/third runnings since I fly sparge on my setup. That only exists when you batch sparge. (Add water, drain, add water drain, etc).

Quote:
Also, another post mentioned that he has to set his hlt temp a little higher to maintain the mash tun temp. So, knowing what the heat x-fer of the mash tun might be useful to a brewer.

I purposely allow my sparge water temp to drop over the 60-90 minute sparge by turning off the HLT element when sparging starts. This keeps tannin extractions to a minimum when it's most likely to occur (higher pH, lower gravity) since the mash temp slowly drops from around 168F down to around 145F over the sparge. No problems with efficiency (I get 95%).

The only reason to maintain the mash at 168F during the entire sparge is to (a) get a high efficiency (which I get), and (b) to avoid stuck sparges (which I never get).

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: