Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

BeerSmith

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: BeerSmith Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does anyone use BeerSmith? I have a few questions.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just ask the questions first? You're most likely to get answers that way.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use beersmith...just fire away!
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the recipe design tab, the field where you can modify the efficiency, do you enter the efficiency of your last batch so you have a good estimate of what your efficiency is?

Then to figure out what your current efficiency is, do you just modify all the fields on the other tabs to get a accurate reading? Every time you make a new recipe all these fields are already filled out for you. They are meant to be changed based on what your current readings are?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
On the recipe design tab, the field where you can modify the efficiency, do you enter the efficiency of your last batch so you have a good estimate of what your efficiency is?

Then to figure out what your current efficiency is, do you just modify all the fields on the other tabs to get a accurate reading? Every time you make a new recipe all these fields are already filled out for you. They are meant to be changed based on what your current readings are?

I've never used or seen beersmith but I can answer this based on using other software since your question's not really specific to beersmith:

You enter the efficency to ESTIMATE how much grain you need. Then after you fill in the original gravity of the wort I'm sure the efficiency number will change to the actual efficiency you achieved.

The first time I used my setup I had no idea what my efficiency would be so I entered 75% and then entered a bunch of grain amounts to get a wort of around 1.060 original gravity. Turns out my efficiency was actually 90%+ so when I finished making the wort I entered my ACTUAL original gravity as measured and my efficiency percentage in the software jumped right up.

Now when I make a recipe I pre-enter 95% in my efficiency field so that as I add grain I can hit my target original gravity (since I know my setup's efficiency now).

Kal

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if its say to say that a rims system has more efficency then 70%. When I brew your APA on Monday I am going to keep track of all my numbers very well.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
I wonder if its say to say that a rims system has more efficency then 70%. When I brew your APA on Monday I am going to keep track of all my numbers very well.

What sort of mash heating system you have (RIMS vs HERMS) has nothing to do with efficiency.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: