Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Non Brewing wiring question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Non Brewing wiring question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a 3 wire (plus ground) wire running along under the roof on my front porch and would like to splice into it to add a simple duplex outlet. 2 wire (plus ground)

my question for all you electricians is can i splice into the 3 wire with two wire.. there is red, black, white and ground..

any help would be appreciated

thanks

silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you're allowed to do it, but you can. Ground to ground, white (neutral) to the neutral side of the plug and either black OR red to the hot side. That is of course assuming you've got a 240v cable, red and black should each be 120v.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

thats what i thought, i'll give it a try

Silverspoons
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like wiring for 2 pole lighting circuiting. Do you have two switches, maybe one by a front door and one by a back door, to turn on/off lights? If so, the red is the control wire. You can tie into the white and black, but if it's to the actual light(s) you will need to turn on the lights to have poer to your duplex. Make sure you use a junction box and don't overload your circuit.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the setup you describe with a light with two switches.. i get 120v from white and red on a multimeter but nothing from white and black.. i'll have to try different switching combos. the new outlet is for power to a wireless outdoor music system

thanks
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning on the light, the black should then have 120v.

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: