Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

element connection woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runstop

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: element connection woes Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get my elements in my kettles to properly thread onto the nut. The threads of my 5500w elements don't seem long enough and no matter how much pressure I put on one, I can't get the nut threaded on properly. If I remove the o-ring it will fit fine.

I'm using 15g kettles which I'm thinking might be the problem? The curve might be a little tighter than on a 20g one.. I'm wondering if I file down the sharp edges of the nut, I might be able to get it to 'catch'.

any other words of advice?

Cheers,
John

PS - pictures of my build coming soon!
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 15g kettle for my BK and didn't have any problems. Did you remove the rubber gasket thing that came with the element? You won't need that as the silicone o ring set up that Kal specifies will provide a leak free seal.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
runstop

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, there is nothing hindering it now except the oring I'm using. maybe it's a bit bigger than the mcmaster carr one. I'm going to take another look tonight and if it doesn't seem to be working, I'm going to order the Oring/washer that Kal recommends. I'm just using a silicone oring now that I found in a box somewhere. Smile

thanks for your reply.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove the O ring to get mine to thread and everything works great..done a dozen batches with not a leak..

Silver spoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
runstop

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha! Just figured out that the ring on there is rubber. came off easily. Thanks everyone!
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in that I also had to remove the rubber ring that comes with the element. Not enough thread with it on. I've not brewed yet, but the kettles held water without leaks for a couple of hours.
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into the same problem, removed the darn O-Ring that came supplied with the Element, I wish they made a longer shaft on the element.
BREW-LEMENT LOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: