Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Installing panel tags and related Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Installing panel tags and related Info Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Below is how I installed my tags and it went very well and fast so I wanted to share it with everyone. Whenever I get a chance to give back to this forum I like to do so.

When you go to add your tags onto your control panel get a yard stick or something that is long, flat, and has some thickness to it. If you already have all your lights, switches, and PID's installed, this is great! Take this yard stick and orientate it so that the thickness of the yard stick is touching the face of the control panel and the width of the yard stick is laying across 2 or more items on your control panel that is in the same row. If you drilled the holes in your panel properly, the yard stick will sit level and you will have a straight line. Hold it tight against those items and the face of the panel, grab a tag and put the edge of it against the yard stick and then press down. This allows you to place the tags in a way that are consistent and look good. The distance from the top of your switch, light, or pid to the bottom of the tag will always be the same and that distance is whatever the thickness is of your yard stick or whatever you use. The tags will also be level and consistent. I did this for my control panel and it worked like a champ and went very fast. I seen some other panels where the tags are not consistent and level and it drives me nuts. I’m just picky.

If you plan to stick your tags before everything is installed this won't work, you need something to register to. Maybe there is another way. I highly recommend doing this. When I placed my first tag I got annoyed with it from just trying to "eye" it up and realized there was no way i could do it that way and get repeatable results.

On another note, all of the tags I ordered that have the “on - off” text in them came to me wrong. The "ON - OFF" text was centered within the tag but the text above it like "POWER" was aligned to the left. When you go to order the tags you tell them how you want the text aligned - Right, Center, Left. Well, I clicked center. Then, there is a text box where you type in what you want on each tag. I copied the text from Kals list which are not center aligned, modified them and pasted them into that text box. I even told the guy to reference the Electric Brewery tags for how they should be made. Below is a example of what I pasted into that text box:

POWER
ON - OFF

TIMER
ON - OFF

PUMP #1
ON - 0FF

What you see above is exactly what they sent me and they didn't center align all the text. What is above doesn’t look that bad but when you have a tag 1 3/4” long, it stands out a lot more. The point is, for people who need to place their order for tags, don't do this. Make sure you type it like this:

POWER
ON - OFF

It may not be a big deal on how the text is aligned but it was to me.

Just another tip.. May not be that great of a tip but I like to share them so stuff like this doesn't happen to others.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a mistake. It should have all been center aligned, you shouldn't have to add spaces before words and try to center align it yourself since you can't: What you see when typing into a web form isn't necessarily what you'll see on the tag.

If you chose center aligned text then all the text (each line) should have been center aligned. This is a mistake on the part of the person who did the tags for you.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip! - I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing. (If I ever get any tags, I've heard that www.signsbannerstags.ca don't ship internationally.)

And with the yard stick, you have a scale to get the tags vertically centered above the component as well.

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats who I ordered my tags from and i'm in Ohio. They ship to the US.

Here's another tip! Don't ever go to your local Fast Signs store. They charge a Minimum fee of $75. If you have 20 bucks worth of tags, it's $75 bucks. It's basically a 1 hour shop minimum per job.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Trohpy Shops Reply with quote

Most trophy, engraving shops can make these for you. i had mine made for $1.50 each and it took two days and i picked them up.

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: