Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Installing SS HERMs coil in HLT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am using a converted keg for my HLT so after kinking the ss coil I bought a pre coiled immersion chiller from morebeer.com that uses 1/2 inch copper and cut the ends off and reworked it. It comes already coiled to 11" diameter. Midwest brew.com has the same thing but in stainless but they were and have been out of stock on that for a while.

Barry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this listing in ebay for SS 1/2" compression to 1/2" FPT elbows

Around $15 with free shipping if you want to go the elbow route . . .

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the coil recoiled to 15", got perpendicular ends to the kettle, and then both ends kinked going into the kettle. I can't get imperial coil here, so I don't have much choice but to cut off the ends and try again. But that's for another day, now it's time to relax with a beer. (I did get all the ball valves and elements fitted on all 3 kettles, achieved something today.)

Kal, I hope you'll agree that there have been plenty of people here that have failed to manually install the 0.020" tubing, that perhaps you should reconsider the text on the website that says that wall thickness isn't that important. IMHO, 0.020" is too fragile to work with by hand.

I'm going to use the 90 degree elbows I bought for the pumps on the coil to see if that makes it easier. All in all I'll probably lose about 10' off the coil. I'm not too bothered about that, but will probably do tests to find the ideal flow rate to get the coil exit temperature to match the HLT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: