Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

pump head type

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: pump head type Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I ordered my 230v march pumps from ebay (tesco pumps). I didn't notice originally, but the head that I ordered isn't like the usual one, with inlet and outlet along the same line - the head has a center inlet, and a vertical outlet

I'm a bit miffed I didn't notice, since I bought 4 polysulfone unions to protect the pump head, but they don't fit on the center inlet. Is there any performance difference with the different head design?

milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I think most pumps the inlet is in the center, the hookup might be on the side, but it is channeled to the middle. Looks like it might be a larger thread on the inlet connector, maybe a 3/4
View user's photo album (12 photos)
MillWerks

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks! That pumps looks like the same style as the SS march 809 that Kal has on his build. According the the March website, http://www.marchpump.com/809pl-hs-c/ the inlet uses 3/4" mpt on the outside or 3/8" fpt in the inside.

Maybe you would have some luck over there using some british pipe thread fittings with lots of teflon tape or end gaskets. I think the diameter and tread pitch are the same, there just isn't a taper to the fittings. Anyway, I was able to make it work on the supply for my espresso machine where I had a 3/8 FIP to 3/8 m bpt. good luck!
View user's photo album (6 photos)
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if they make a reducer, 3/4 to 1/2. What size are your unions?
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick google and it seems these have a higher flow rate - 7.5 gpm. So at least there's a silver lining! But is that the HS or the C that gives the higher flow?

Millwerks, good suggestion about using british pipe fittings, although I'm not sure I can get those, it's all metric here.

It's a pity I've got a couple of unused pulysulfone fittings (I'm sure the $10 could have been spent on something more useful!), but not the end of the world. In the meantime, I have some 3/8" MPT x 1/2" barbs that I could use. Fortunately, I had also ordered two SS pump heads (the chugger ones from usapumps), and they have 1/2" MPT on each end, but won't get here for a month or so... There is a way out! I just have to be patient, and put up with reduced flow for the time being.

rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milldoggy wrote:
Wonder if they make a reducer, 3/4 to 1/2. What size are your unions?

Yes they do. If you look at Kal's gallery link on his web page his pumps employ the reducer
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milldoggy wrote:
actually I think most pumps the inlet is in the center, the hookup might be on the side, but it is channeled to the middle. Looks like it might be a larger thread on the inlet connector, maybe a 3/4

I bought my pumps from Sabco, creator of the brew-magic system. They were on sale from $200 to $150 so thats why I picked them up. I was a little shocked to see that both the inlet and the outlet are on the same side facing the same direction which causes a little problem because there is only about a half inch space between each. It's going to be hard for me to apply fittings, what i'll have to do is hook up one fitting then put a coupling on the other one to get more space to be able to add another fitting on the other port.. If i had to do it again i would go with the ones kal bought and I like the idea of having one of the ports dead center of the pump.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I was applying a fitting to my march pump that I got from Midwest Supplies and snapped the threads completely off 1 side. I was so pissed when this happen, I shouldn't have been applying that much pressure. Anyway, I think I fixed it and want your opinion on it. I used JB weld to put it back on. I put a couple coats of it on and it's rock solid but I just fear that the JB weld will give off un-wanted flavors in my beer. It was worth doing and If I get negative feedback i will just get a new pump head.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could pick up a stainless chugger head, he might have them back in stock. They were going for 29 at one point.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you send me a link or tell me where they are at?
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is their website. I did not see the heads. I think I read on hbt that he was getting stock in April. I would write him.

http://www.chuggerpumps.com/index.php
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did talk to chugger pump and they are $50 now. Apparently they are not on his website but he does stock them.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JB weld should be fine as long as you didn't put a ton of it on the inside of the pump. These pumps are very low pressure and it should hold. I would run it with boiling water for a while to se if it can hold up to the heat.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats my plan, I contacted JB weld to ask the question but i still didn't get a response. I will let you guys know what they say. I asked if their product will release off flavors into the wort or water.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB Weld is not food grade. They likely can't (won't) or shouldn't give an answer. If they do, it'll be "it's not supposed to be used on anything that is in contact with food", not because it'll cause off-flavours but because they never would have paid for FDA testing. So why would they assume the risk of telling someone "yup, go for it". I know I certainly wouldn't.

I did not want JB Weld anywhere in contact with wort or water on my setup so I designed around it.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. A couple guys on HBT had the same problem and said they used the same method of using JB weld to correct the problem. Apparently they have been doing batch after batch with no effects from JB Weld. I'll most likely roll with it for now and when I have some extra cash I'll replace both pump covers with stainless steel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: