Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Just ordered my Blichmann Pots!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crush

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
kaikoasurf wrote:
Thank god I got my kettles before they went on back order.

hehe, I was thinking the same thing! Although I did have to wait over 2 months to get them shipped to Europe - seems anything sent to europe is "back order"!

rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with Desiree at High Gravity - the backorder is still on for a bit. Apparently, the manufacturer produced a lot of "not to spec" units (hence the scratch & dents) - you can request a scratch and dent for 10% off, but I'm waiting for nice, shiny kettles.

I just wanted to get into queue before the rush after Kal's BN appearance - I used the link from this site Wink

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
rvklein

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 15 gallon finished product I'm wondering if 30/30/20 BK/MT/HLT would be needed for high gravity brews (lots of grains) instead of Blichmann's standard recommendation of 30/20/20?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an automated email from High Gravity that someone ordered Blichmann kettles through my links which gives us a small commission. I thank you!

If anyone else wants to support us, the links to use are here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview

rvklein wrote:
For 15 gallon finished product I'm wondering if 30/30/20 BK/MT/HLT would be needed for high gravity brews (lots of grains) instead of Blichmann's standard recommendation of 30/20/20?

I would go 30/30/30 but 30/30/20 would work if you fill the HLT/MLT separately with strike/spage water for really high gravity beers.

When I make 10 gallons of finished product that's around 12 gallons post boil or 14 gallons pre-boil. To get to 14 gallons pre-boil I typically use 7 gallons of strike water and 9.5 gallons of sparge water. 7 + 9.5 = 16.5 gallons in the HLT, or 1.65 times the water in the HLT as the finished product. 1.65 x your 15 gallons would be almost 25 gallons in the HLT to start with.

These numbers were for my last batch: A 5.8% ESB with 20.5 lbs of grain.

Looking at my numbers for a 12% Barley Wine that for which I also made 12 gallons (post boil), I had 39.5 lbs of grain. In this case I needed 12.8 gallons strike water and 7.7 gallons sparge for a total of 20.5 in my HLT. That's now 1.71 times as much water as finished product. The ratio's slightly higher becaus there's more grain to absorb water so we need to use more water.

But wait! My HLT is only 20 gallons. So I cheated: I filled the MLT with the 12.8 gallons strike water first, and then filled the HLT to the 14 gallon mark so that the HERMS coil was submerged completely. I then added 3/4 of a campden tablet to each instead of just 1 whole one as I usually do to the HLT.

In your case of making 15 gallons of finished 12% barley wine, you'd need 15 x 1.71 or 25.7 gallons of water.
So long story short: 30/30/20 would work if you split the water but going 30/30/30 is 'cleaner'.

Personally I really prefer the look of 3 identical kettles too. But that's just me. The cost difference isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

The above beers were all 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness but that really doesn't come into play here as it's the HLT you're asking about.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Just got an automated email from High Gravity that someone ordered Blichmann kettles through my links which gives us a small commission. I thank you!

Yay! The link worked, then Wink

-Dick
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dick! It's appreciated!

Kal

kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to think that blichmann managed to mess up that many pot's and false bottom's. I would not take a scratch n dent if you paid me. i take great pride in knowing that i have the best pots imaginable (lol unless kal designs a new one). i bet they were just trying to get rid of their scratch n dents before the end of the fiscal year which is on April 5th.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaikoasurf wrote:
Funny to think that blichmann managed to mess up that many pot's and false bottom's.

Based on what Desiree from High Gravity told me, it sounded like their supplier in China delivered a lot of pots (and probably false bottoms) that weren't to specification (ie, scratched and/or dented). Could just have been a lot that had a rough trip over to the US in the cargo container, who knows . . . I wouldn't blame the guys at Blichmann - I think they just got stuck with a bad shipment and probably have a pretty tight inventory, hence the backlog.

-Dick
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaikoasurf wrote:
i take great pride in knowing that i have the best pots imaginable (lol unless kal designs a new one).

FWIW, I have no intent on changing anything or redesigning anything! I'm happy to report that a few years into using my setup (about 30-40 batches in) I'm 100% satisfied with how it works.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that makes better sense. I could have sworn that I saw a Made in the USA sticker on my box haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: