Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Running two elements at once

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msummers7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Running two elements at once Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have chatted with Kal briefly on this. I was wondering if anyone else has attempted this. I was interested in running two heating elements at once (boil and HLT) so that one batch could be started and the other boiling at the same time. Has anyone configured this yet? I know that the current setup has a switch to toggle between the two elements. My wiring to where my brewery will go will handle the pull of 60 amps so that is not a problem. Let me know what u think!
Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Msummers7,
Yes, I plan on doing the same thing, only since I will be doing back-to-back batches. I also added another PID and timer + some other gadgets. You can check my panel layout here:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24535
But, I will be running 60amps to the panelboard.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi msummers7,

I'm also building a panel that can handle two elements on at once. (Although I'm cheating a bit, and doing this with a 30A service. In practice, both elements won't be on at once, but will alternate, using the duty cycle feature of the PIDs.)

Since you have 60A service, then this should be fairly straightforward for you to do. You could simply upgrade all the 30A cable to 60A, although that's a bit heavy handed, since the feed to each SSR and on to the elements still only needs to be 30A. The two power relays controlling the elements can also stay rated at 30A since they still only feed one element. But the main power relay controlling power to the unit will of course need changing to 60A, as will wiring to the shunt, and also the earth wiring.

Kal's panel allows for 3 combinations of elements: both off, HLT on, BK on. We are now adding a 4th possibility, hlt and bk on. I've bought a slightly larger enclosure (20x20") so my solution is to add a new row of components, and place the element switches below the element lights. You should leave it at that, with the space under the MLT PID and timer empty. My timer and MLT are both connected to a power outlet, so it makes sense that these have switches also, so all PIDs and timer have a light and then a switch underneath them.

Sparky is doing a 60A build, so hopefully he'll chime in here too. IIRC he has done a nice design for his panel.

crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, ok, seems sparky saw this thread and posted just as I was writing! either that or he's telepathic!
msummers7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the pic sparky. I know u said you weren't posting a schematic, but is there anyway you would email it to me. I'm not much of an electrician, or into fabrication, so this will be a real challenge for me. I appreciate any info you have to offer. Thanks!
Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
hehe, ok, seems sparky saw this thread and posted just as I was writing! either that or he's telepathic!

hehe, yes, I read your mind and the calling from fellow 60amp and double heater builders!
Hey, Crush, I disappeared for 2 months, but am back if you need help with that shipment of parts. Sorry, hope I did not leave you in the lurch. Embarassed
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem sparky, good to see you're back! I used my shipper from NJ. They have a "shop4you" service so I could get the McMaster order. Wow, that stuff is so well packed and each item individually labelled. Makes you feel like you are their only customer!
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
no problem sparky, good to see you're back! I used my shipper from NJ. They have a "shop4you" service so I could get the McMaster order. Wow, that stuff is so well packed and each item individually labelled. Makes you feel like you are their only customer!

The greatest part is you *almost* always get your parts next day! Part distributors like them are a dream to work with.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Running two elements at once Reply with quote

msummers7 wrote:
I have chatted with Kal briefly on this. I was wondering if anyone else has attempted this. I was interested in running two heating elements at once (boil and HLT) so that one batch could be started and the other boiling at the same time. Has anyone configured this yet? I know that the current setup has a switch to toggle between the two elements. My wiring to where my brewery will go will handle the pull of 60 amps so that is not a problem. Let me know what u think!

My intent is to have this setup as well. I'm thinking you could have both wired up to your relay. You could cut one out with a simple on-off switch or somehow tell your PID to drop power to both by 50%. I think the PID way would be better because you will have 2 half power elements in different locations within the kettle as opposed to 1 full power element at the bottom. I'm doing 2 elements so I can have 10,000 watts for a 1 barrell batch.

Jeff
redbenn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
Hi msummers7,

I'm also building a panel that can handle two elements on at once. (Although I'm cheating a bit, and doing this with a 30A service. In practice, both elements won't be on at once, but will alternate, using the duty cycle feature of the PIDs.)

Hey crush,
Are you going to document your build, how much are you varying from Kal's plans to accomplish running 2 elements at once w/ 30A. I am interested in following along and possibly doing the same.

Thanks!
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi reddbenn, yes I will document it. Bits and pieces are available in the "electric brewery in europe" thread (http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24543), and also "back to back batches" [url]"http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24627"[/url].

I've just ordered the reed relays and female jumper wires to hook it up. Internally, the wiring is quite simple. the biggest change is cosmetic - rather than a 3 way switch, we need to control each element independently. The simplest way is to give each element its own 2 way switch, and so we have an additional row of switches under the element lamps. I'm using the 20" panel, so I know there is enough room, but I'm not so sure about the 16".

rvklein

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that if I ever wanted to run two batches one behind the other then I'll just use a heat stick on the second batch since we're just boiling...

I'm building out for 15 gallon batches though so 30 gallons in a single brewday is alot of beer to drink!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: