Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Check the 2 gang outlet box

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Check the 2 gang outlet box Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Not all outdoor 2 gang boxes will work as pictured in Kal's build.

I went the local hardware store to get mine and the boxes I bought had the 2 grounding connections placed right where I would drill the holes to attach one of the cover plates to the rear of the box. These posts are part of the cast box and sit up about 1/4". (I will post a picture later when I get back home). The ones offered currently on Amazon are from Ace Hardware outlet (I bought mine at Ace HW local) and are exactly the same.

I found the same brand name boxes Kal used at Home Depot and match what Kal used exactly.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Used Dremel Reply with quote

Mine were the same.. i used a dremel tool to grind out part of the post so the nuts would fit. check out the pic in my photo album.

Silverspoons

[/img]

DSCN0200.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.72 KB
 Viewed:  11544 Time(s)

DSCN0200.JPG

View user's photo album (6 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip. May need to finally buy a dremel.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverspoons, I have a dremel, which attachment did you use? I tried with the grinding wheel, but it didn't want to play ball at all. Did it take long?

edit: I had the same problem with my outlet boxes. The posts were in the wrong place, and it seemed like the covers didn't fit on the kettle side. See the thread conduit boxes

silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Dremel Reply with quote

Only took about 60seconds... I'll take a picture of the grinding wheel in the morning and post it here

Silver spoons
Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Check the 2 gang outlet box Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
Not all outdoor 2 gang boxes will work as pictured in Kal's build.

This is true. We work with this boxes on/off on some of our (company) projects and I HATE them (we call them Bell boxes). Despite the stated "3R" rating, they: leak, rot/corrode, and are very cheap.

We usually use a 4X box (raintight, all sides mounted) on our (solar/electrical) projects. For the Kal build, I will use a non-Bell box method. I know, not many options available, but time to get creative.
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from Home Depot and luckily drilled the hole's and didnt have any clearance issues. However I spray painted mine flat black after spraying a generous amount of Primer and the darn thing scratches easy. If I apply a couple coats of clear coat would that fix it? Also, it would be nice if they sold SS Gang Boxes. I'd shell out some $$ to buy 2 of them. Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Dremel tools Reply with quote

These are what i used to cut away the Ground terminals inside the duplex boxes. The grinding wheel worked great. i also tried a cutting wheel, just nipping away with small cuts. Both took less than a minute.

Silverspoons

dremel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.96 KB
 Viewed:  11477 Time(s)

dremel.jpg

crush

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic silversppons, I'll try again with the cutting wheel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: