Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

No power ANYWHERE

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: No power ANYWHERE Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I just finished wiring up my CP last night, and when I went to plug it in this morning nothing. No "clunk"noise, no blue light. Nothing. While wiring it up, I checked, double check, triple checked everything I did. I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong. It seems as if I have the main power relay wired up right.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you check the GFCI in the cable?
View user's photo album (12 photos)
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've hit the rest, and the test multiple times. I might go buy a voltmeter to something later today to see if there's any juice.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful, what ever you do. Are you using the interlock? Got a pic of you main relay?
View user's photo album (12 photos)
jayinjersey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the interlock and you accidentally wired the NO/NO connectors wrong your system won't power as it thinks the the interlock isn't "Off"

Don't ask how I know this...

Just an FYI Wink
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using the interlock. So it can't be that.
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you main power relay isn't closing then concentrate your efforts on your power switch and associated wiring. I have to as the dummy questions, the breaker is shut right? Are you sure you have power to your outlet? If you are going to do any sort of troubleshooting beyond that, your gonna need a multi-meter. It is possible that your relay coil is bad too. With something non conductive (i.e. a piece of wood) push the power relay closed with the switch in the on position. If the blue light comes on, your coil is bad.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So me, being a dumbass, wired two neutrals out of the main power receptacle, and there was only one power line going to the relay. That's all fixed, and after figuring out how the power cord worked, I finally got power! Woo! Now my timer is dim and my volt meter won't turn on, but atleast the hard part is over!
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My timer is dim too. I don't think there is anything you can really do about it. Volt meter shouldn't be too hard to figure out. If you're not getting anything on it, I'd start with the power supply. Congratulations!
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i got my timer to be less dim. It doesn't make sense, since everything is wired in parallel, but when i changed the power connection point to the actual hot bus, the timers display became a bit more bright.
Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because you're getting dissipated power across the loads since they are connected in parallel.

ajt012 wrote:
Well, i got my timer to be less dim. It doesn't make sense, since everything is wired in parallel,
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If something looks dim, remove the wiring and try powering it just from 120V from a regular wall socket using a regular lamp cord. If it lights up brighter then you have a wiring problem in your control panel.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky wrote:
That's because you're getting dissipated power across the loads since they are connected in parallel.

Sparky, it's right what you say, that power is distributed across the elements of a parallel circuit. Can you say how would this make a difference to the power available to the timer? Adding a new "arm" to a parallel circuit increases the load, and increases the current flowing into the parallel circuit as a whole, which is then distributed to the components of the parallel circuit in proportion to their load. So, adding the timer to an existing parallel circuit causes more current to be drawn.

If there is something in series with the parallel circuit, then it will make a difference. Kal's design doesn't have anything in series with the timer so any series circuit is a wiring problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: