Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

1/2" NPT Locknuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hennesse

Drinking: On Tap: Quickie ESB

Working on: Primary: Body, Body, Body IPA, 2ary: Paducah Pale Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: 1/2" NPT Locknuts Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
MoreBeer is out of the H624 locknuts. I called and they said it would be a couple of weeks. Bummer - I have all the other SS parts, coil is coiled, etc.

Kal's instructions say that the recess in the locknut partially holds the O-ring. So we have to have the correct locknut.

Any other sources? I can wait if I need to, but dang, I'm raring to go!

Dave

Crazy thoughts:

The McMaster 4464K586 1" used on the heating elements has such a recess, but it's NPSL. Doesn't NPSL stand for American Standard Straight Locknut Pipe Thread? NPT thread is tapered so it forms a seal - you can only turn it so far before the threads "jam". To be useful, a locknut might have to be turned past the "jam" point so it can lock a pipe that is turned to the jam point. Is a locknut really NPSL? Is the H624 equivalent to McMaster 4464K584 ?
Burglar

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the McMaster nut. Mine bottomed out on the pot before it made it to where it would jam.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right that locknuts typically are straight threaded. I'm no expert here, since I only use national pipe fittings as part of my hobby, but I think the straight threads create a seal when the nut is jammed up against something else, like the kettle wall.

I ordered mine from bargainfittings - http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_39&product_id=56.
Haven't got to use them yet, so no advice.

cardmechanic

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine off Amazon. Merit Brass M419-08 Hex.

I'd post a link but I'm not sure how to add Kal's referral info.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GXF5DU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003GXF5DU

Hover over for info/pricing, click to view.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.bargainfittings.com has the 1/2 locknuts plus a host of other parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: