Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Enclosure

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Enclosure Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi, I am looking into the enclosures for sale on eBay, the link provided for the enclosure in the building guide links to one with a key lock handle. I do not want that handle as it is not practical.

Other enclosures from the same seller are available, what do you think of a 6" depth? Is it too shallow for the components?

JP

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOCKABLE-KEY-ENCLOSURE-W-BACKPLATE-400x400x200-16X16X8-/130309869774?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item1e5712d0ce#ht_12210wt_905
View user's photo album (24 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the recommend enclosure and I'm glad I did. Installing everything it provided the right amount of space to safely install all your components and makes it much easier to troubleshoot your wiring if needed. My 2 cents, Castermmt
JP

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, the more room the better, I guess I will get in touch with the seller and see if he has any enclosures without the handle lock. I'd rather get the recommended enclosure too.

JP
sjch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepest front door components are the PID's and timer. Highest internal components are the relays.
as long as those are offset and not interfering with each other in the cabinet when it is closed, things are fine.
(plus some room for wiring of course)

6 inches is especially 'flat'.

whats the problem with the handle lock anyway?
JP

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the handle just look bulky and in the way, probably a matter of opinion though. I sent the seller an email for availability. We will see what he's got in stock.

JP
Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 60amp relay is exactly 4" in height, FYI.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP,

I purchased a used 6" deep enclosure and I quickly realized I shouldn't have. My panel is going to be just like kales but with only 1 PID and heating element with not meters. I would highly recommend getting an 8" The problem i am running into is that the relays are too tall and my PID and timer won't let the panel close. Not only do I have the relays in there but i'll have terminal strips, heat sink with SSR and other stuff. SO right now I am playing around with how to configure everything.

Question, is there a rule of thumb for how far apart each component should be? I am mounting my heatsink and SSR to the back panel and when I shut the lid it's pretty darn close to the PID and timer, if I move it, it become very close to switches and lights.
JP

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a message from the seller this morning, he updated his listing and the price seems right, $69.99. I just ordered one, here's the new link Kal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400202907157&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D400202907157%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_8586wt_905

That's for the 16x16x8, no fancy handle, just the plastic lock.

Thanks for your input, castermmt, sjch, sparky and pola0502ds, much appreciated.

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: