Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sourcing 7/16" silicone o-ring in Ontario/Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjay

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Sourcing 7/16" silicone o-ring in Ontario/Canada Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all,

I don't have the current living accommodations nor finances to go with an all-out electric brewery like this right now, but I probably will be much closer in about a year or so, so I'm building up my home brewery with stuff right now that I mostly won't need to replace (cooler mash tun excepted).

I got myself a Blichmann kettle, and would like to go with the same counterflow wort chiller used in this build if possible (this hobby - or more accurately, addiction - is an absolute drain on my disposable income!). Thing is, I also want to do everything with SS quick disconnects, but fitting a SS compression fitting to the pipe requires these silicon o-rings:

(Qty: 6) Silicone high temperature o-ring (7/16" ID, 5/8" OD, 3/32" thick)

The only source listed is McMaster-Carr, which would normally mean I need to use a package forwarder to get it here in Canada, but I'm itching to get brewing with it, and I'd really rather avoid that added expense, especially given how much I'm already stretching myself, just for some cheap and simple o-rings. I noticed though that in the build instructions it says the following:

"These are the same o-rings used on Cornelius style beer keg quick disconnect posts so we had a bag of 100 handy."

This would suggest to me that they should be common enough that I SHOULD be able to acquire them... if not from a Canadian retailer, then at least an American one who will ship it direct. Adding to the difficulty for me is that I have no experience kegging (though a keezer is definitely on my to-do list), so unless the item description for the o-rings is very clear, I'm not sure if it's specifically what I'm looking for. So I'm hoping somebody can perhaps point me in the right direction, or failing that, maybe sell me some (they could probably even just be shipped in a letter envelope too.)

Canada can be a frustrating place when it comes to buying less-common items! Any help I can get would be phenomenal and immensely appreciated. Apologies if this isn't the appropriate section, but it seemed to be the best fit. If this happens to be the case, hopefully this thread will be moved.
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post about 9 more times or so, i might be able to help you, it's about 5 in the morning here in the east coast. but send me s PM, and i think i might be able to mail you the number of o-rings you need!
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try kegkits.com. http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Orings. They sell bags of 100 of ball lock o-rings. I've ordered from them before and they ship direct. Just for the recort though, orders have taken some time to arrive with items being out of stock, but my past orders were quite large. An order for a bag of o-rings should go through quickly!

Quote:

Canada can be a frustrating place when it comes to buying less-common items!

You should try Norway! You cannot get most homebrew things here, and what little you can get is about 4-5x the price that it's available for overseas. It's ironic that Canada and Norway have taken first place in recent years in the UN's human development index. I guess not getting hold of homebrew parts must have been a significant contributing factor! Very Happy

Last edited by crush on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
emjay

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajt012 wrote:
If you post about 9 more times or so, i might be able to help you, it's about 5 in the morning here in the east coast. but send me s PM, and i think i might be able to mail you the number of o-rings you need!

Well that was a quick response, thanks. If you have enough, I wouldn't mind buying a few extra from you just in case. It would really suck to get your help with this, only for something to happen and me being stuck with 4 or 5 and having to go through all this again Smile

Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it. I just need a few more posts now, apparently.[/i]
emjay

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
you could try kegkits.com. http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Orings. They sell bags of 100. I've ordered from them before and they ship direct. Orders have taken some time to arrive with items being out of stock, but my past orders were quite large.

Thanks for the link. Only thing I'm worried about is people on another forum I frequent have reported order delays of several months for no good reason (the guy basically saying he has another job), receiving the wrong stuff constantly, or flat out never getting their order. I even saw a local news piece on the guy and that website (one of those consumer "on your side" pieces) where they investigated the guy and his shady business. Sadly, it's really the only homebrew site I'd really rather not order from. Well, after personally getting nailed, I wouldn't be using my credit card at AHS either until I'm confident that problem is resolved, but they also accept PayPal.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read the bad reports about kegkits. They do take paypal IIRC, so your CC details are safe. I've placed 3-4 orders with them over the past 2 years. One order was delayed by a few weeks, the others came through in good time. My orders were for dozens of different items, and they were all sent correctly, and tidily packaged (keeping shipping costs low.) I'm not saying the reports are incorrect, just to bear in mind that they are only one side of the picture, and could well be just a small percentage of total orders. For a larger order you may well feel it best to be cautious and shop elsewhere, but for 1 pack of O-rings, I don't think you have much to loose.

Just for contrast, my latest order with MoreBeer was delayed by a couple of weeks without my being informed of out of stock items (they were in stock when I placed the order, so I've no idea how they were suddenly out of stock.) When I followed up, it was the SS elbows that were out of stock. I could get these from another supplier I was placing an order with (www.plumbingsupply.com), and I was pretty mad B3 had just delayed the order, which screwed up my shipping consignments to Europe. I've not yet been refunded for the parts that were out of stock.

rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjay wrote:
Only thing I'm worried about is people on another forum I frequent have reported order delays of several months for no good reason (the guy basically saying he has another job), receiving the wrong stuff constantly, or flat out never getting their order.

It happened to me - I placed a $40 order with Tom Hargrave (kegkits.com) in April 2010, and still have yet to receive the merchandise. This is after a ton of polite follow up emails (so of which he actually responded to). Never got my merchandise, never got a refund. Based on my experience, I would steer clear - caveat emptor.

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, there's a sticky thread over on homebrewtalk.com to stay away from kegkits.com.
cardmechanic

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a 100 pack of these from McMaster (smallest allowable quantity), anyone wanting some just send me a PM. I'll have more than I know what to do with.
rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, since there are a number of parts involved with the build that must be ordered in quantity (hardware, o-rings, etc.), does it make sense to have a "Buy/Trade/Swap" sticky thread or separate discussion so that we can lower the overall build costs? For example, I just picked up a heatsink on ebay which was sold as part of a set (2 heatsinks) - I only need one, so I'm going to sell the other (and I would rather offer it to you guys at my cost + shipping vs. re-posting the one heatsink on ebay). I think it would be great to have a "want/need" forum to swap/trade with others.

-Dick
cardmechanic

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy Sell Forum:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

In the near future we intend to offer up kits for the hard to find parts, and in lower quantities too. Keep your eyes peeled and stay tuned!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardmechanic wrote:
Buy Sell Forum:

Thanks! Thought I looked for a forum like that, but (obviously) didn't do a good job of it. This isn't the first time I re-invented the wheel Wink

-Dick
crush

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems Kegkits has gone downhill since I last dealt with them. Pity, since they had good prices and decent kit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: