Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Receptacle outlet prices

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Receptacle outlet prices Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Did all of you guys pay 52 dollars a piece or your locking receptacles, the prices are killing me. Just want to see if there is a cheaper site. Thanks.
konrad

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are expensive. I found some cheaper ones on ebay but it was only few bucks if you add shipping. Amazon has free shipping and returns are easier if something was wrong with the item.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not in a wet or moist area like a basement then you can use a regular outlet receptacles which sell for around $20 US.

I'm on the road right now but will send pictures this weekend of my panel receptacles. The only reason to use the listed receptacles is the moisture in his basement or anywhere else in a confined space where steam and moisture can't escape. We also need to consider how we seal a enclosure as to not release moisture which can kill your components.

I have no moisture issues because I have a large air conditioned garage as my brew area and can set up my panel anywhere I want far away from any moisture. So it depends on where your going to brew. I plan on putting in a hood as well.

Castermmt
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my thhn wire and receptacles from http://www.stayonline.com. They had the best prices I could find except for used ones on ebay.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
If your not in a wet or moist area like a basement then you can use a regular outlet receptacles which sell for around $20 US.

Locking has nothing to do with wet/moist areas but with stuff possibly becoming disconnected. Mine are not weatherproof. They're simply locking. If you want weatherproof you have to add rubber boots (a separate item). I did not think this required.

I used locking because some of the cables are very heavy once built (especially the element cables and power cable) so I didn't want them to come loose by accident since they're installed vertically plugged into the bottom - all the weight pulls down.

Or worse than unplugging completely would be if they slowly worked themselves down over time and the contact point became smaller which in turn could cause more current to flow through a small space which is turn causes heat which then may melt the connector/cause a fire/etc.

So you could use no-locking for the pumps (the cables are fairly light) but I'd be hesitant to use non-locking for the two heating element and one power input connectors since they're vertically oriented.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Troubs

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these for my pumps. They are used but they were much cheaper then anything else online and I figure if they don't work then I'm only out $3.00

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/TWL-3/3-POLE-TWIST-LOCK-CONNECTOR-CHASSIS-MT.-FEMALE/1.html

EDIT: I also got a lot of other misc things from them too at a pretty good price.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Locking has nothing to do with wet/moist areas but with stuff possibly becoming disconnected. Mine are not weatherproof. They're simply locking. If you want weatherproof you have to add rubber boots (a separate item). I did not think this required.

The outlets I was referring to are locking L10-30R Pass & Seymour twist lock (see link). I thought you were sealing them to make them water tight.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574906687&toolid=10001&campid=5336652980&customid=&icep_item=260667285768&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

[link updated to support the site!- Kal]

2011-03-02_20-47-53_473(2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.32 KB
 Viewed:  12209 Time(s)

2011-03-02_20-47-53_473(2).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: