Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Pump Head orientation

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Pump Head orientation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
All,
I was installing my disconnects and valves tonight and had a question about the pumps. I am using Chugger pumps with stainless head. I was reading over at HBT that outlet orientation does not matter(well don't put the outlet on the bottom). The default chugger is inlet on left side bottom(which actually channels it to the direct middle of the pump) and the outet is on the top, but the connection is on the top right. I was thinking about rotating it 90, so the outlet connection is on the top, but that would actually mean the outlet of the impeller is on the left side. I plan on using a T and adding a dump valve, so I will be able to vent air if I have a priming issue.

Any one have any opinions or thoughts?

chugger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.35 KB
 Viewed:  33719 Time(s)

chugger.jpg

Last edited by milldoggy on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (12 photos)
Troubs

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those chugger pumps and I did exactly what you are describing. While I have yet to fire them up I can't imagine there would be a problem. I think the paper that came with them said that they could be oriented anyway you wanted (except with the outlet facing down obviously) so I never thought twice about it. I'm still a ways away from trying it out for the first time so I can't say with certainty.
MillWerks

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted my chugger pumps with the outlets pointed up and they work great. Any air in the inlet side gets pushed up and out the outlet.

photo9.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.35 KB
 Viewed:  33734 Time(s)

photo9.JPG

pump1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.66 KB
 Viewed:  33734 Time(s)

pump1.JPG

View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pump cover - I really like it! Good work.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
MillWerks

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I had to find another use for my Greenlee hole punches Very Happy. www.onlinemetals.com has a great selection of ss that can be cut to order too.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated my pic

those are sexy pump covers Smile
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of people having trouble with getting air in the pumps. Usually the fix is to mount the outlet at the top, as MillWorks has done.

mildoggy, the dump valve sounds like a nice idea, can you explain a bit more? With my limited plumbing skills I can't quite picture it - I just imagine water or wort squirting everywhere! Is it possible to bleed out just the air?

milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basicly run a T out and a ball valve on each outlet from the T, one with a disconnect, one with a barb and a hose. This lets you purge air and take samples. Below is a bad photo.

I grinded my street elbows tonight, I am using them as right angles into my camlocks. I took the threads off to make a nice connection.

Hoses.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.6 KB
 Viewed:  33705 Time(s)

Hoses.jpg

bleeder.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.17 KB
 Viewed:  33705 Time(s)

bleeder.jpg

crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to take a photo, now I get it. Have you tried it? I'm guessing that as you bleed the air, it will be replaced by more liquid. And perhaps even if there is still some air left it won't affect pumping since it occupies a space above the flow of the liquid. Nice!

And a nice job on those elbows! I also bought the camlocks but decided just to go with regular fittings. I don't have a grinder and didn't fancy spending 3-4 years doing it with a dremel! Very Happy It surprises me that the hoses stay on with the outside of the elbows so smooth.

milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bleeder lets you flood the pump with out it on, close the output valve, open the bleeder valve, open the valve on your pot. Close the bleeder when liquid comes out, pump is now primed. The bleeder also lets you pull samples for your refractometer. You could use an autovent if you want to autoprime.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there are no Harbor Freights in Norway? If you really wanted, I could grind them and send them to you. Took me about 1.5 hours.
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crush, why would you need a grinder for the camlocks?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dump valve sounds like a good idea!

There's no Harbor Freights here, Thanks, thats a very kind offer! Alas, I've ordered my cams - I went for mostly C and F type - male barbed connector on the hoses, since I knew grinding the elbows would be a problem for me, and I didn't have your kind offer when I ordered!

crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought we could take the camlock discussion over here... http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24735
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
And a nice job on those elbows! I also bought the camlocks but decided just to go with regular fittings. I don't have a grinder and didn't fancy spending 3-4 years doing it with a dremel! Very Happy It surprises me that the hoses stay on with the outside of the elbows so smooth.

IMHO, you really should use a barbed fitting on the end there to make sure the hose doesn't come off by accident. You could end up with ~10 gallons of near boiling wort on the floor or (worse), on you.

A $5 Stainless steel 1/2" FPT x 1/2" barb fitting like this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17422/102353/Stainless-_1_2%22_FPT_x_1_2%22_Barb?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

In use (it's part "I"):

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the heck out of them, there is tons of friction and the hose clamp, I really doubt they are coming off. They are stretched over the fitting more thats a barb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: