Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Where do you get your water?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Where do you get your water? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
While I'm not really looking for the science behind it I'm just curious what everyone is using for their source of beer water.

My first batch back in 2008 was reverse osmosis from Discovery Springs. The second time, again, reverse osmosis but from the brewery store. This was before I realized minerals in water can make a big difference in taste. The 3rd batch I used Discovery Springs spring water. I can't say I've noticed a difference as I have yet to make the same style twice and in the beginning controlling my fermentation was little to be desired.

Since the addition of chlorine in our municipal water for the past 10 years I wanted something a little more pure. Maybe my taste buds are oversensitive but if I'm going to wait 3 months for a beer to ferment and condition I want it to taste good from the start so tap water was out. I also didn't want to be paying for spring water even though the company is literally just down the road. I'm sure everyone knows of a local natural spring that some kind person has tapped so sure enough that's where I went. I've noticed cars parked on the side of the cross town arterial here in St. John's many times so I gave it a try for the first time last summer. I brought a glass with me, checked the clarity - no dirt, crystal clear, lots of oxygen, tastes phenomenal. Unsure if it would even be running this time of year I went to check regardless, 2 - 18L jugs in tow. 36 liters later in just a few minutes I'm heading back home again. I didn't have the camera with me today but here's a shot of greener times:

IMGP9484_springwater.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.68 KB
 Viewed:  12125 Time(s)

IMGP9484_springwater.JPG

IMGP9481_springwater.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.86 KB
 Viewed:  12125 Time(s)

IMGP9481_springwater.JPG

View user's photo album (19 photos)
JP

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a great idea, there is one about an hour drive from my place. Its located in the Wakefield, Quebec. It's been there for years, I haven't gone there in a few years but it sounds like a great brew idea.

View user's photo album (24 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bottled water labelled "spring" or "pure" water I see in the grocery store is actually quite hard or full of lots of minerals. Maybe fine for some styles but not for lighter lagers (generally speaking).

So I use my city's tap water since it's very soft / low in minerals. One campden tablet is all it takes to get rid of the chloramine/chlorine. Happens instantaneously.

More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=4

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bottled water to be called spring, it only needs to be over 50% spring water, rest is muni supplied water. Tap water is safer than bottle water, more regulations. I just use my tap water through a double charcoal filter. Going to test it in the summer and see what minerals I am lacking.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I used before:

http://www.discoverysprings.ca/source.html

Here's the city water I'm connected to:

Color: 8
pH: 6.3
Aluminum (mg/L): 0.025
Cadmium (mg/L): 0.00055
Chloride (mg/L): 11
Chromium (mg/L): 0.00417
Copper (mg/L): 0.005
DOC (mg/L): 2.1
Iron (mg/L): 0.11
Lead (mg/L): 0.001
Manganese (mg/L): 0.032
Sodium (mg/L): 7
Nitrate (mg/L): 0.004
Sulphate (mg/L): 4
TDS (mg/L): 0.005
View user's photo album (19 photos)
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Poland spring myself. It is from Maine. It is a dollar a gallon here and is quite soft. It is a little sorbet, but I am in the camp that if I am going to spend the time and energy I want a good and reliable base for my brew.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry off topic, but what do you mean when you say "It is a dollar a gallon here and is quite soft. It is a little sorbet [...]"
I only know sorbet as a frozen desert!

Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, auto correct on the IPAD, I meant to say it was spendy, (not sorbet! Hah!) meaning expensive compared to tap. I bet for a while you thought you had been out of the states so long you weren't up on the lingo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: