Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Vent system and fan moisture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Vent system and fan moisture. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yesterday i got EVERYTHING working. Boiled water in both of my kettles and played around a lot with the PID so i could familiarize myself with the operation. As the kettle boiled i turned on the Vortex fan to evacuate the steam. I had drilled a small 1/16" hole in the bottom of the fan ( mine is mounted vertically so just removing a screw like Kal did wouldn't work ) to release any extra moisture. WOW.. i couldn't believe the the constant drip..i went outside to make sure the vent was opening and working.. all was working well. After the session i ran the fan for about 30 minutes to dry things out. My question is for those who have their system working, how much moisture do you get?
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At full boil I get a drip almost every second. It's quite a lot.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: about the same Reply with quote

at full boil, the same, about a drip every second or two, i wasn't paying attention to it until i noticed the puddle of water on the floor and my heart sank as i began looking for a leak in one of my kettles. i'll need to put a small bucket underneath in the future.
konrad

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on following Kals ventilation setup where I'm pushing air out one vent and air is coming in through another. How cold does it get in your brewing room in the winter when the vent is circulating air?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konrad wrote:
I plan on following Kals ventilation setup where I'm pushing air out one vent and air is coming in through another. How cold does it get in your brewing room in the winter when the vent is circulating air?

Not sure if this was directed at me or someone else but I'll answer anyway: I'm in Canada and my brewing room is a sealed cold room with a solid door, It gets down to 50F or so in the winter.

When I'm heating the strike water and mashing, I don't have the fan on at all (no need to). So the room warms up slightly, up to 60F probably. Comfortable working temp.

When I boil I have the fan on and have air coming in from outside. The cold air from outside works great at keeping the room at around 60F even with a full boil going.

In the summer when it's uo to 80-90F outside the room is a bit warming but never gets much above 70-75F or so.

All in all it's comfortable to work in any time of the year in regular clothes.

Kal

konrad

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal,

My basement is in the 50s in the winter. I was afraid that with the ventilation going the temp will drop down and I won't be able to brew in my shorts Smile
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konrad wrote:

I was afraid that with the ventilation going the temp will drop down and I won't be able to brew in my shorts Smile

That's when you switch over to the pink leggings. Very Happy

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:

Yet another reason to brew electric/indoors. I'm sure there's nothing that the neighbours would like to avoid seeing more than the sight of some guy in pink leggings with a pint in one hand and a mash paddle in the other. *shudder*

Kal

silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Vent Aroma Reply with quote

My vent is installed right next to my dryer vent and my neighbors are wondering what kind of dryer sheet my wife uses to get that unusual aroma.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
crush wrote:

Yet another reason to brew electric/indoors. I'm sure there's nothing that the neighbours would like to avoid seeing more than the sight of some guy in pink leggings with a pint in one hand and a mash paddle in the other. *shudder*

Kal

*shudder* indeed! But it sounds like a good inauguration photo for proud owners and their new electric breweries!

kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol leggings haha

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Aroma Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
My vent is installed right next to my dryer vent and my neighbors are wondering what kind of dryer sheet my wife uses to get that unusual aroma.

Let's just hope you're not brewing with old, cheesy hops, or they really will wonder! ;D

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: