Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Which items tend to have longer lead times?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonBrew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Which items tend to have longer lead times? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My first post here. Thanks Kal for the great work. I am planning to start out on a small scale by building just enough to create an electric brew kettle which I will essentially use to replace my turkey fryer. I will continue to use my cooler for mashing until I am ready for the final phase which may not be until next year. Accordingly, I will start out by building a panel that has reduced components and a modified circuit that is only capable of powering one SSR and one pump. I expect the build to be done over a period of a couple of months.

I have started to order some bits and pieces. For example, I ordered the SSRs with heat sinks which are being shipped from Hong Kong. What I am wondering is what items, if any, tend to have longer lead times? I would like to get the longer lead time items ordered early on so I am not waiting at the end. Also, I may order those items in a quantity sufficient for the final build rather than just enough for the reduced build. Thanks for any input.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question. I think the answer is "it depends". There are so many factors involved like availability, and even weather.

If I had to pick things I'd say some of the small bits from Asia used in the control panel.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like kal said, it really does vary according to availability. I had to get all my parts organized for shipping from NJ to Norway, ideally to arrive before the cut-off date for the next bi-weekly shipment. I already had one blichmann 20 gallon with false bottom, but otherwise was starting from scratch, since I had no pumps, and was using propane.

I started ordering early January, and most items had arrived in NJ before the first shipping batch left on the 23rd. The exceptions were MoreBeer and an Amazon supplier. MoreBeer were out of stock on the stainless street elbows. I wasn't told about this until a week later, and adding that to their combined 10 days lead+shipping time, that meant it had to go on the next shipping batch. Amazon suppliers have ca 3-5 day lead in my experience, and most arrived in time, but the supplier with the 5 day lead eventually canceled the order when they found they couldn't get hold of the Camco elements, even though the supplier indicated they were in stock at the time of purchase.

McMaster seem to ship next day most of the time, but had a 2 week lead on the terminal blocks and spades.

All told, lead time+shipping varied from a day to 3 weeks. It takes a good week of planning to get all the orders sorted out, so I'd say about a month from the "I want an electric brewery" moment to having all the parts on your doorstep.

MoonBrew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crush - thanks for the helpful information. I notice that you are one of several members from Norge. When I was visiting a close friend summer before last in Krs, we sampled many fine beers from Nøgne. I expect to get him brewing before long.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonBrew, you're welcome, pretty much a rushed summary but I hope the info is useful.

Ahh, Nøgne, good stuff! I've really enjoyed most of their beers, it has that lovely freshness, and great aroma of homebrewed beers, although I still prefer stout on N2, rather than their carbonated version in a bottle, but other than that, it tastes like the beer I've gotten used to at home. Had I discovered Nøgne before I started brewing, I really doubt I would have started this hobby!

My patient and incredibly giving other half has just been counting how much I've spent on the new electric brewery, and its equivalent in beers. She says about 400 bottles of nøgne (at about 10 dollars a bottle). Oh shoot! I've not mentioned the shipping costs from the US to Norway yet.... hmm....any good excuses anyone?

But on the bright side, drinking those 400 bottles can be seen as some kind of debt repayment!

hankevans42

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about anyone else, but it took awhile for my brewer's leggings to come in...
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hankevans42 wrote:
I'm not sure about anyone else, but it took awhile for my brewer's leggings to come in...

Ha!

I'm glad someone read/noticed that! Sometimes I'm not sure if anyone's actually reading what I write. Wink

A couple of years ago when I was taking various pictures my daughter was running around and got in some shots:

I decided to use the photo as is and then added to the text that the pink brewers leggings were optional. I thought it would be funny to add it to the master parts list. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read that and got a good chuckle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: