Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Careful with those prices! (scammer alert)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Careful with those prices! (scammer alert) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone,

It would appear that some sellers are purposely trying to scam people buying the parts I'm listing by jacking up the prices to ridiculous levels.

A good example is the AC -> DC variable power supply:

This item is really straight forward and uses extremely simple/cheap parts. Anyone with some electronics experience could easily build on themselves but for the price ($6.99 with shipping from Asia included when I bought 2 years ago) it's a no brainer to just buy, especially as making the circuit board isn't always easy/not everyone has the equipment to do it.

Fast forward to today. If you click on the picture above to search for this product using my links you'll notice two different ones selling today on eBay: One for $8.99 which is reasonable I suppose, and the other for a whopping $70.50! I figured it must be a 10-pack, but nope. $70.50 for about $1 worth of electronic parts. The auction says that 14 have been sold at a price of $7.50 so maybe it was simply a typo on the seller's part.

Either way, caveat emptor! It's not the first time I've seen sellers that have increased their prices because of (what appears to be) this site.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pssst! Hey, over here! I've got some 3 1/2 digit (blew color) 700v AC volt meters going cheap, great deal, $699.99 each + $39 shipping. Hurry while stocks last!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this rate we'll be able to sell our completely built control panels for $10,000 and it'll cost you less than building one yourself. Wink

Kal

Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, as I haven't bought the parts for the panel yet, what is a real rough estimate of the cost for just the panel portion of the build?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A breakdown of DIY build prices are listed in the FAQ. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/FAQ

Kal

Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Kal. This site puts NASA to shame. I think I could literally build a car from scratch if you built the website.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 3000 in mine, but I had kegs and free welding
View user's photo album (12 photos)
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking to buy a new power supply and I saw the $70+ one the other day and figured it had to be for a batch of 10 stayed away from it. Like I said earlier, I have a friend that I work with, that when I showed the power supply to him, he said "hey, nice power supply" in no less than 2 seconds. He has taken it home with him for the night and will ohm it out and find the bad part and replace it. He is betting 2 to 1 on the rectifier.

On a side note, I showed it to my wife and she said it looks as if it were built of legos and what part of the lego farm is bad. I said it is not the grain silo and maybe not even the pump house, but more likely the storage shed.... did I say she was raised on a farm...

Barry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry, did you find out from your mate which part of the "farm" was broken? Let's hope it's not the farmer's fault! Wink
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
barry, did you find out from your mate which part of the "farm" was broken? Let's hope it's not the farmer's fault! Wink

The farm was just fine. The problem was the Honeywell transformer. This transformer only has three wires on the 120v side. The 12v side has two screws to hook up you wires separated from the case by a non conductive board and has 4 tabs coming off the case holding the board on. I had one of my spade connectors touching this and grounding the 12v side to the case and therefore grounded to the backplate.

Barry

[/img]

51yqV1qGcLL.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.58 KB
 Viewed:  16077 Time(s)

51yqV1qGcLL.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered from these guys and it seems they jacked their price while they were on New Year holiday. I got an email after I ordered saying they were going to be out the early part of Feb. Even in my "recently bought" on ebay it listed the item as $70.50! But then I checked Paypal and the correct price was accurate...$7.50. Whew!

So, I don't think they're trying to rip people off. They were just on vacation! The price has been corrected. Good ebay seller and packaged nice. Took about 3 weeks to get though.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybrew wrote:
I ordered from these guys and it seems they jacked their price while they were on New Year holiday. I got an email after I ordered saying they were going to be out the early part of Feb. Even in my "recently bought" on ebay it listed the item as $70.50! But then I checked Paypal and the correct price was accurate...$7.50. Whew!

So, I don't think they're trying to rip people off. They were just on vacation! The price has been corrected. Good ebay seller and packaged nice. Took about 3 weeks to get though.

Good to know. It makes sense that it was a typo... (entering 70.50 instead of 7.50).

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: