Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

BCS 460 automation

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: BCS 460 automation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Want to see if anyone set up their build to work with the BCS 460 system. For those that don't know it, it allows you to control all the plugged in elements, pumps, or anything through a computer interface, and even cooler it is web based, so I can control it wirelessly from my IPAD. This would essential replace the PIDs, but I am a complete layman on this stuff and learning so I wanted to see if anyone has made the modifications to use this unit. One thing I do know is that you have to use K type thermocouples instead of the ones Kal uses. I would also still like a manual switch for each element and pump with a master shut off, just for safety.
Just interested in if anyone has thought this out or done it.
Thanks all.
Feurhund.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this, though I was going to go with the brewtroller board, which is a bit more hands-on. (IIRC, recently PT100 sensors are also supported.)

I like the simplicity, and stand-alone capability of Kal's setup, so I'm starting there, with just a few tweaks to allow back-to-back batches and using the timer/tachomoeter to measure/control my grainmill motor speed. Later, I will be building a brewtroller board to have on the side, initially, starting with just the bubbler volume level sensors since that adds immediate value without making any part of the control panel redundant.

Everyone's reasons are different. For me, automation isn't the goal in itself but one means of getting increased control, repeatability and accuracy during the brew. Even though not fully automated, Kal's setup delivers these goals in spades. With the BT board in place, being able to accurately measure the volume in the kettles and the gravity in the mash/boil kettle will help reach these goals also. (This might seem like lengths to go to just to get a volume and SG reading - I have difficulty reading the sight levels on the kettles and a refractometer, and I also like to play with toys! Very Happy)

If it were possible to still use the PIDs together with an external board, that would be nice. I wonder if it's possible to connect a PT100 sensor to two devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: