Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Waiting...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Waiting... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OMG I hate waiting!

Lots of goodies coming in 7-9 business days.

Gonna be a long couple weeks.
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I ordered all my stuff, I am sure the Fed-Ex, UPS and USPS guy were pissed at me for about 2 weeks...

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 7-9 business days eh? Lucky guy. Thumbs Up

I've been waiting since Nov 26th for gear. First the Perlick 425 tap I wanted, mainly for the swappable tip to potentially add a bottle filler, was back ordered. Two days before it arrived a few weeks ago I decided to go with 3 525's instead. In that time frame the 4" stainless steel shanks are back ordered now. I'd be upset but I have a good 3months for my lagers to ferment and lager so I won't be kegging for a while.
View user's photo album (19 photos)
brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ Coffeediver. Job security!

@Greg: at least you're brewing... I'm just back into the hobby, and not even a pot to pi... err.. brew in.. yet. Smile
brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAYY! According to FedEx, my pot will be here on Wednesday.

Of course, according to morebeer.com, my order hasn't even been picked yet.

I know, I know.. all good things come to those who wait, but I'm so tired of drinking Coors Light.. lol
brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total happiness as my stock pot arrived today! My morebeer.com order is still "being picked" though. Sad

I'm half tempted to hit the LHBS (which is actually a tack shop with a couple shelves of extracts and some wine-making stuff) and get a canned extract just to get the process going... lol
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did when I started brewing again in september after a 2 year break - went to the equivalent of the LHBS (like your's just a few shelves of very basic wine/beer kits and equipment...a few buckets, stoppers and a broken hydrometer... :-@ )

It was great to be brewing again..and quite nice to have a batch in the FV in under 15 mins! I even took the time to dry hop in secondary to try to make best out of the kit. But alas, it was a very cheap kit, probably half table sugar and tasted nothing like the "Danish Lager" it purported to be. You can make good beer from extract, just not that one...

milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get all my stuff shipped to work, the post lady and my admin think I am making a bomb. They question the odd packages with Chinese writing on them. My admin really liked when I got 10 cornies delievered. She usually brings stuff to my office, that day, she called and said there are some odd stainless things up here for you. She is not a drinker.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My postal carrier also wondered what was going on back in 2009 or so when I built my setup. I had a *TON* of stuff arriving in the mail from all over the world. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my wait is finally over also! FedEx arrived yesterday while I wasn't home and left it with the neighbor. Odd practice Neutral but it's here and 2 days early yet 2months late, lol. Thumbs Up

Perlick 525 faucets, SS Micromatic shanks and tail pieces along with Taprite primary and secondary regulators makes me one happy guy. Mr. Green

keggear.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.36 KB
 Viewed:  22618 Time(s)

keggear.jpg

brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome. Smile

I'm waiting again.. But this time happy waiting while my yeasties work their magic!

I've been asked twice if I'm making a meth lab.. Lol
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those perlicks are lovely. Definitely worth their weight in..erm...stainless. I've got 7 of them on my keezer (though I don't think they are 525's, no fancy P on the front), along with 2 stout faucets and a creamer. Pitty the bloody thing is practically empty, well, there's 4 kegs in there now, oh and a couple of sodas, but that does't really count. (They get served off to the side...)

EDIT: That's a nice mashup of all your bits! It's a good idea to do that. Once a project is complete, you tend to see just one thing - the completed item. It's easy to forget just how much cash and many bits and pieces went into it!

Greg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's true, it all adds up quick in pieces and price. No meth lab er electric brewery here though, no room. I guess it's my digital scrapbook before it all goes together. I may have to make an ale just to test this all out as it would be done faster than the 2 lagers I still have fermenting. I still need to get new keg seals and poppets. I went to the Pepsi plant again yesterday but the guy that came out wasn't too eager to get me what I wanted except offering a few top-post o-rings he had on hand. He was more willing to argue that he's never had a problem with odors/off-tastes from tainted seals in his homebrew and they've always cleaned nicely in bleach so therefore so should mine. I'm not willing to risk 3 months of waiting to have it ruined by rancid Mountain Dew and stale Pepsi which I can still smell even after thorough cleaning. Too bad, they could be selling little kits in the sales office for people like me. I even mentioned it to the brew store here about making a deal with them. Either case, I'll just order away for now.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics Greg! You obviously know how to use an SLR! Wink

Kal

crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only a layman when it comes to photography, but I'm impressed with the photos from both of you. My sister in law has a SLR and she also takes great photos. I don't have an SLR. They say a bad workman blames his tools, but they also say you need the right tool for the job. SLRs are coming down in price. As a point and click guy, will I see any benefit from getting SLR? I think I have the capacity to learn to be more than point and click, but that's my current level. Wink

PS: Feel free to move this to another topic, sorry for hijacking this thread!

Greg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Kal! Yeah, I've been shooting for a few years, did a few weddings and portrait work but gave it up and sold off one body. Kept all the lenses though as they do still come in handy once and a while.

To answer your question Crush, it depends. What are you planning on shooting? If you want family portraits or images to put up on the wall in your house the better dynamic range and resolution from an SLR sensor will be beneficial. Additionally, you're dealing with a better quality lens in most instances. You've not only increased your image plane from a larger sensor but your resolution or lines per mm from better glass will aid in a better image. Another benefit is that you have complete, easy access, control with a SLR from buttons and dials. You can easily adjust the aperture of the lens to change your depth of feild eg. blurred background, quick change in white balance and exposure. It won't make you take better pictures, that's up to you. If you do buy one and are currently not well versed read all about ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, Focal Length / Depth of Field so you'll have a complete or better understanding of what it is you're actually doing. My friend was shooting with his DSLR for a year or more, always left the aperture at F4.0 or F10 because the pictures came out well he said, with no more understanding than that.

Personal opinion, buy one if you plan to be creative with it, just can't capture detail or perspectives with your current P&S and plan to go out shooting. Otherwise a good point and shoot will fulfill most of your needs. I'd rather have a P&S most days as it's just simple, no lugging around a big body and lenses. It's definitely not something I'd want stolen out of my car either where as you can put an iPhone or P&S in your pocket.

Last edited by Greg on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really seem to enjoy the narrow depth of field (DOF) lenses like I do as well. My favourite's my Canon 35mm 1.4/f prime lense. It's on my camera most of the time! Good stuff!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
As a point and click guy, will I see any benefit from getting SLR? I think I have the capacity to learn to be more than point and click, but that's my current level. Wink

All depends on what you want out of it and what you define as "benefit".
I could never get anything that I wanted out of point & click cameras so I long ago went to SLRs were I was in complete control of the outcome. The good thing about digital SLRs is that you can play around, take hundreds of shots and see the outcome immediately. Makes it pretty easy to learn the ropes about how ISO/f-stop/shutter speed all work together.

One thing that's nearly impossible to get with point & shoot is depth of field. The lenses on the P&S cameras simply aren't 'fast' (open or big) enough.

I also shoot completely in RAW format (not JPEG) so I have to manually 'develop' all the photos. This gives greater control as well though I mostly do it to cheat so that I don't have to worry about getting the lighting choice and exposure right when the shot's taken - I can do it later.

There's more info about 2/3 of the way down in my FAQ. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/FAQ

And yes, off topic. Sorry. Smile

EDIT: Hey wait! This is the Off-Topic forum after all! Anything goes! Mug

Kal

Greg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Kal wrote pretty much what I did while trying to edit my last post and watching Mythbusters so I guess he beat me to it.

kal wrote:
You really seem to enjoy the narrow depth of field (DOF) lenses like I do as well. My favourite's my Canon 35mm 1.4/f prime lense. It's on my camera most of the time! Good stuff!

Kal

Yeah, the DoF really works well with closeups, that and I was doing my best to blur out some of the junk in the background, haha. I shot most of these with my Tamron 17-50 2.8 set to 4.0-5.6. I used the old Tamron SP Adaptall 35-80mm macro for the front on Perlick shot. I used to really love that lens as it can be incredibly sharp but with the fisheye type front element it's susceptible to lens flare causing softening. I put on the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f1.4 and Pentax DA* 50-135 for kicks but I don't think I used any taken with those either.

Shameless plug: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregwilliamsphoto/ www.gregwilliamsphotography.ca
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't need to be reminded of that plate vs finger montage you posted over at my other site... Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: