Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

HLT/MLT/BK

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: HLT/MLT/BK Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal, I notice that the control panel and kettles are placed with the boil kettle first, then the mash/lauter tun, then the hot liquour tank. Is there a reason that it's done this way?

My intuition wants to put them the other way round, with the HLT first, so we work from left to right as the brew process proceeds. Are there good reasons for it being the other way around (right to left), or is it just arbitrary?

I'm thinking maybe you wanted to keep the boil kettle as far away from the panel as possible?

Cheers!
crush

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine's a bit backwards (right to left instead of left to right).

Why?

My brewing room is small. The sink really only works in the far corner as it sticks out a bit farther than everything else. Putting it on the right side would block the door a bit. So that was the catalyst for the positioning of everything.

The HLT does not need washing so it's the furthest away. The BK and MLT are what need to be washed and having them close to the sink makes it easier.

I'm actually toying with the idea of reversing the BK and MLT so that I can wash the MLT easier while I'm boiling. Right now I don't really have space. Ideally I'd like to have another table to the left of the sink so that I can move around the kettles a bit to make cleaning easier.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, and in your shoes I would have done the same thing. You are just so lucky to have a sink and a dedicated brewing area!

Although messy,my garage outside is fortunately quite long (about 7m, ca. 22"). I have to relocate some stuff to make a bigger brewing area, then I'm going to build your rugged brew stand, but maybe make it a foot or so longer so I have additional working space. But no sink yet. Sad That's next year's project.

Even though I've been exposed to looking at/designing the EB on a daily basis now for the past month, I still get a "this is %%£$ amazing" feeling quite often! You've done a fantastic job, even more so that you took the time and energy to share it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: