Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

procrastinating

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: procrastinating Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Damnit, im supposed to be writting a paper on the existence of time, and i can't get off this site, or i keep checking my orders to see when things are going to ship.. looks like grades are going to have to suffer until this build is over with. :/
Stuttgarter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open a beer and relax. I write much better and am more focused after a drink. Existence of Time? Sounds like a philosophy class. Just gut it out.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time exists. Without it, everything would happen at once, or not at all. There would be no point talking about your beer in terms of aroma, carbonation, mouthfeel, flavour, and aftertaste, because it all would happen at once. I drink beer, and enjoy all these qualities in perfect progression and succession, so time, or a perception of it, must exist. When I'm enjoying a really good beer, I'm pretty sure time slows down a little bit.

In conclusion, I drink beer, therefore time exists.

ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crush, time doesn't necessarily have to exist in the physical world. Yes things change, and to help ourselves understand these changes we use this concept of time, (that was arbitrarily set up in seconds:minutes:hours:days:etc.) But if you think of it as more of events can happen in the past/present/future or they can be earlier than/later than, and they can be both. But if events can be past/present/future, then events in the future would draw closer and closer to the present, till it becomes the present, and then farther and farther in the past. And if this is true, then the future must already exist.

So basically i lost my train of thought, and somewhere out in the future, we all already have our electric breweries set up, and we should all be very very jealous of the future us.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous of my future me. Definitely.

He's standing there, looking smug with his fancy pants electric brewery, dialing in the mash temp and relaxing for 90 mins. And there's me now, stressfully adding a quart of hot, then cold water, stirring, more water, stress, just to try to hit target mash temp. Grrr!

The future definitely exists. There are many of them to choose from, and that choice is made in the present.

jask

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajt012 wrote:
Crush, time doesn't necessarily have to exist in the physical world. Yes things change, and to help ourselves understand these changes we use this concept of time, (that was arbitrarily set up in seconds:minutes:hours:days:etc.) But if you think of it as more of events can happen in the past/present/future or they can be earlier than/later than, and they can be both. But if events can be past/present/future, then events in the future would draw closer and closer to the present, till it becomes the present, and then farther and farther in the past. And if this is true, then the future must already exist.

So basically i lost my train of thought, and somewhere out in the future, we all already have our electric breweries set up, and we should all be very very jealous of the future us.

The future exists as a concept, not a certainty or as a destiny already determined... focus on the future you want to create, with your homework finished Wink
Stuttgarter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time doesn't exist? I guess what I learned about time in Engineering was all wrong. Time does exist and its time to have a beer. After that time, I will have another beer. Mug

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 minutes left in the boil.. the house smells of hops... happy happy.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man this is deep. Time is a concept to help out 4 dimensional brains understand our physical world we live in. Time is relative. We judge time by the cycle of our planet. If we ever discover alien life. I think the topic of time will be an interesting one. I wonder if there is an alien version of Kal. Out there building galactic brew on some electrical system.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just want everyone to know im in an analytical chem lab, not doing the lab work, checking the forums to see if anything new has been put up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: