Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Which direction to coil your Herms coil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Which direction to coil your Herms coil? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Counter clockwise or clockwise in the northern hemisphere? For some reason I thought I read somewhere that it should be clockwise for northern hemisphere. I really doubt it matters.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe! This one always makes me smile! Water flowing clockwise or counterclockwise in different hemispheres is an urban myth. I think Mythbusters or some similar program disproved it, and here's a description - http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis.html. Basically its about how the water is introduced to the drain that determines the rotation.

In a coil, water will want to move downwards with much greater force than it will rotate, so the direction doesn't matter - choose whichever is most natural/easiest for you to coil.

Hope this helps!

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, definitely in the "doesn't matter" category. Nobody drinking your beer a few months later will comment "This is great beer but when it was mashed, did it get passed through the HERMS coil clockwise instead of counter-clockwise? I think I can taste it...".

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it more, if it did matter, just inverse the hoses to the HERMS coil. The beer will flow in the opposite direction. So how you coil it doesn't matter.

I highly suggest making two batches of the same recipe and testing both ways to see which tastes better. Wink

Kal

ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i saw a picture of it somewhere, but which way does the wort travel in the coil? as in does it enter through the bottom and exit the top, or is this another issue for the "doesn't matter" bucket?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my setup it enters from the bottom and goes to the top, against the flow of the hot water for max heat transfer. It likely doesn't mater.

Kal

milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but is that counter clockwise or clockwise Smile

I figured this was a myth and I would get some good responses!
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need two HLTs, one clockwise and one counterclockwise with their coils connected to eliminate any negative effects of these mysterious Coriolis forces. I've added one to my order. $400 for another boilermaker is a small price for for peace of mind.
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*LIGHTBULB* use a 100ft coil, coil 50' of it going clockwise, then have it dip back down to the bottom of the coil, and coil it again counter clock wise! No need to buy a second HLT, and your beer will be the best tasting in the land!
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would confuse the wort. You might have the best or the worst. I would think you need to swivel half your yeast counter clockwise and the other half clockwise, if you use dry, your screwed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: