Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Need help on a Spezial Hell

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuttgarter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Need help on a Spezial Hell Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Got to a find a recipe for SWMBO for a Andechs Spezial Hell clone. I've looked all over for a recipe but the closest I've gotten is this crappy recipe. I think this is an extract recipe. Anyone got a better recipe or any ideas to improve this recipe?

Ingredients for 20 liters:
5 kg light malt
250 g of caramel malt
25 g of hops (pellets)
Mash at 35 ° C
Protein rest at 55 ° C, 15 min
Saccharification at 65 ° C, 30min
72 ° C, 30 min
78 ° C, 30 min
Original extract content 13-14%
Storage time 5-6 weeks
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe! Yes, the recipe is a little vauge!

I hope you'll read the explanation below, but if you're in a hurry, here's my reinterpretation of the recipe from the information I can get from reviews and BJCP guidelines. (I've not tasted the beer.)

For 5 gal:
8lb 2-row German malt
1lb Vienna/Munich malt (or 0.5lb of each)
0.5-0.75lb carapils/carafoam (or if you want a deeper golden color, crystal 10, especially if only using Vienna malt)
0.5 oz Hallertauer (90 min)
0.5 oz Tettang (90 min) (total of ca. 20 IBU)
0.25 oz Tettang (20 min) - optional depending upon how "malty" your beers normally are.
Kettle finings (15 min)
0.5 oz Saaz (aroma hop)
Wyeast 2206 (Bavarian Lager), (2308 Munich Lager), 2124 (Danish Lager) or subs with a dry lager yeast.
soft to medium water
Mash schedule:
dough-in at 50C (20 mins)
rest at 65C (for 60 mins)
rest at 72C (for 30 mins)
[76-78C mashout]

If you have the facility to do a decoction mash, that won't do any harm!

I've used 2308 and was amazed how delicate the lager was. No harshness, no esters, smooth with subdued graininess, and bready overtones. I think 2206 will create a drier beer and allow the maltiness/graininess to come through more, but may also produce more esters and in my experience more alcohol warmth. My feeling is that a mashout at 78C may help produce more grain flavour (as well as improve extraction efficiency) but I've not been able to with my equipment (picnic cooler, batch sparge).

Primary around 10C/50F for 10-15 days (check gravity - when 3/4 the way to FG then move to secondary.)
Diacetyl rest, at room temp for 1-2 days.
Secondary around 34F for 4 weeks.
Finings
Rack, keg/bottle, carbonate to 2.4-2.6.

This is how I got the recipe:

I've not tasted Andechs Spezial Hell, so I first check the reviews on beeradvocate - the first:
beer rating: A-

Quote:
A: Light, golden yellow with a fizzy white head. Amazingly clear. This is probably the cleanest looking beer I have ever seen.

S: Rustic bread crust and herbal hop notes. Again, it's a very clean beer.

T: There's a nice noble hop character that is balanced with pils malt graininess.

M: It's light-bodied and finishes bone dry, but there it is smooth.

For me this rules out extract. It's hard to get a dry, light coloured beer with extract unless you know the fermentability of the extract being used. "Designing Great Beers", one of Kal's recommended books, discusses extract fermentability and how variable it is, and gives percentages for different producers. You can also use exogenous enzymes to break down the non-fermentable sugars in the extract to get a more fermentable wort, but it's still hit and miss. Best to go all grain.

The review mentions noble hops. That narrows it down to Hallertau, Tettang, Spalt and Saaz for at least flavour/aroma hop additions. I've used Tettang and Hallertau for bittering/flavour and sometimes aroma - fits with spicy/grassy profile. Saaz for aroma.

Of course, we're not going to build a recipe on one evaluation alone, but the next 6 don't give specific information. "Nice bubbles, very nice lacing", "good grainy base", "just the right amount of carbonation" - "nice/good/right amount". These don't help so much since these words are subjective - objective words like "balanced", "strong", "medium" etc.. help much more in a review. Reviewers should compare the objective (aroma/bitterness/carbonation etc..) to the rest of the beer to explain why it is good rather than use subjective comapratives. Eh, oh... rant, sorry recipe is what's needed...ok back on track!

The reviews indicate a balanced beer, with detectable, but not overpowering noble aroma, little if any hop flavour (hop flavour not mentioned specifically , and as expected for the style) and that this is a slightly sweet lager, also to style.

With warm-ferment beer styles, the the recipe is King, and we can get away with murder regarding brewing acumen. With lager, we have to be much more conscientious about our brewing practices. For example, automated temperature regulation isn't so necessary with an ale - find a spot in your house/garage that's round the ideal temperature (typically 64-68F) and the beer will be fine. For a lager, it's close to essential (in my experience) if you want to get a really clean lager without any fruitiness or strong alcohol flavours, and reaching the dryness/attenuation expected in a Lager.

My point is that getting the fermentation right is at least as important as getting the recipe right! Very Happy So don't be dismayed at the lack of detail in the original recipe. It has all the signature points to make the lager. We can fill in some of the blanks to make it more specific.

To start with, since this is not a bitter lager, aim for around 20 and no more than 25 IBUs (and if using frozen hops, which is the norm, don't forget to compensate for AA deterioration due to time in storage.) You can, but don't have to use a noble hop for bittering, any clean bittering will do, such as Magnum (use 1/3 the quantity), perhaps even Pearle, but use the noble hops if you have them available.

None of the reviews mention hop flavour, I'm guessing there are few or no flavour hop additions, since that would cloud the clear malt taste that the reviewers consistently mention, so perhaps 1/2 oz at 20 mins. Without smelling the beer it's hard to say which aroma hop, but Saaz is a fine starting point. 0.5-1.0 oz is probably plenty, but it depends upon your procedure. (E.g. if you use a whirpool chiller or hopback then 0.5 oz is fine, otherwise if you're adding the hops to the kettle at flameout and chilling into the fermentor then 0.75-1oz might be needed.

The malty backbone is traditionally delivered by malts kilned at a higher temperature - Vienna and Munich malt, but not too much. The rocky head can be helped by the carafoam, or a light crystal. A 10L crystal will give a fuller mouthfeel, darker golden color and a slightly sweeter finish. If your SWMBO prefers sweet over dry then use the 10L rather than carapils/foam.

Soft/medium water will help get you in the right acidity for the mash. Ph5.5 can be a good help, but not too much (1 tbsp per 5gal) as can 150-250g acid malt.

Rather than just give you a recipe, I wanted to give you also the reasoning behind it. I hope it helps you understand the recipe and to tweak it to your own needs, and personal perception of the beer.

Cheers,
crush

Babham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its seems delicious recipe, i must try it in some future time and thanks for share it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: