Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Festa kits

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Kit, Extract, & Partial Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elsinore

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Festa kits Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Festa kits are the only ones worth "brewing"
I've tried all the others and though Brew House is ok its not great. The cans of extract are not worth the effort.
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had Festa Brew or even heard of it until now as it hasn't been available locally. It sounds like a great beer from what I've just read. I like the fact they match the yeast with the beer type unlike most others including The Brew House.

That said I've made a few canned kits from terrible to good results. The best yet was the Coopers European Lager, fermented with liquid yeast and then dry hopped. It tasted like Stella with a hint of Beck's yet wasn't as clean and crisp as I wasn't able to control the fermentation temperature. I haven't made a lager in a year because of that. Finally, I have an external temp controller for the fridge on the way, along with the rest of my kegging gear, so I picked up the Coopers Euro kit again yesterday. Cool

As for The Brew House, I've been immensely impressed with the Ales. The stout was delicious, so much so I stopped buying Guinness. The Red Ale, the best beer I've made yet and definitely true to style! I haven't had much success with the American Premium Lager, Pils or Cerveza, again due inadequate brewing temps but will certainly try them again. I'm itching to start the TBH Munich Dark Lager I bought last month.
View user's photo album (19 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made both Festa and Brew House for years. Brew house was "ok" but it was wasn't 100% pure wort: It's concentrated slightly - you have to add water to get up to 6 gallons of wort so the results can be somewhat dependant on what sort of water you have.

They also change the pH of the wort and include a small pack of baking soda in the kit to change it back. The reason they do this is to extend shelf life. The problem is that myself (and many others) notice a sort of acidic 'twang' or 'bite' to the beer because of the pack.

Festa kits are phenominal: 6 gallons of 100% pure wort. Nothing needs to be added. You simply pour into a fermenter, aerate and pitch the yeast. Most of the dry yeasts they include are ok for the style, with a few noteable exceptions.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Elsinore

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
I haven't had Festa Brew or even heard of it until now as it hasn't been available locally. It sounds like a great beer from what I've just read. I like the fact they match the yeast with the beer type unlike most others including The Brew House.

I'm not surprised you havn't heard of them. They are made by Magnotta http://www.magnotta.com/Festabrew/
they are a small craft brewery in Ontario.
they sell beer under the True North label http://www.magnotta.com/Brewery/
We have enough trouble getting the kits in the Ottawa Area.
Pete

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh. Reading this Festa talk almost makes me regret having just ground my pilsner malt for brewing tonight..... almost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Kit, Extract, & Partial Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: